The Birds Barbie doll gets her eyes pecked

the-birds-barbie.jpg

Presumably to celebrate the 45th anniversary of Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds, Mattel is releasing this special, limited edition Barbie doll, modeled after Tippi Hedren’s iconic pose: a single, soft white hand shielding herself from a horde of feathered rates eager to plunge their beaks into the sweet aqueous vitreous of her eyes. It could only be more historically perfect a tribute if the accompanying Ken doll was modeled after Sir Alfred himself, lecherously smacking his ponderous jowls after Barbie Tippi’s shiny, segmented, asexual pudendum, which would at least fittingly capture Hitchcock’s fascination with most of his starlets. $44.99 when it is released later this year.

Update: As I mentioned in the comments, they should really follow this up with a Psycho-licensed Vivien Leigh Barbie, with Ken as Norman Bates in drag.

Alfred Hitchcock The Birds Barbie Doll [Entertainment Earth via Nerd Approved]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Birds Barbie doll gets her eyes pecked

I’m sure Jenn Frank can’t be the ONLY person who realized that it wasn’t Vivien Leigh (aka Scarlett O’Hara, Blanche DuBois) but JANET Leigh that was in “Psycho.” Though I’d like to see the V.L. version. :)

2. jennfrank says:

Well, my friend pointed out, YOU TOO can be Vivian Leigh with this gloriously nervewracking shower curtain. http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/13/psycho-inspired-bath.html

3. jennfrank says:

@13 – Changed it to what? OMG Brownlee, Janet Leigh. Janet!

4. jennfrank says:

I mean, Janet Leigh.

5. jennfrank says:

@11 Actually, my name is Jennfr Ank. Mr and Mrs Ank were weird people.

If you are genuinely hankering for a Scarlett doll, I recommend Tonner’s.

6. airship says:

I find myself momentarily paralyzed by the indescribable awesomeness of this Barbie doll. Who thought Mattel was that cool?

Best. Barbie. Evar.

7. mujadaddy says:

I find myself momentarily paralyzed by the indescribable awesomeness of this sentence:
    “It could only be more historically perfect a tribute if the accompanying Ken doll was modeled after Sir Alfred himself, lecherously smacking his ponderous jowls after Barbie Tippi’s shiny, segmented, asexual pudendum, which would at least fittingly capture Hitchcock’s fascination with most of his starlets.”

Brownlee, forget what I said about decaf. Keep up the good work :P :)

8. John Brownlee says:

CHRIST. I knew I should have looked it up. Changed, oh thou genius commenters, thou. Thanks!

9. Eicos says:

I must note that there is no such thing as “aqueous vitreous.” The eye contains two chambers: the larger, the posterior chamber, full of jelly-like vitreous humor, and the anterior chamber sloshing with the liquid aqueous humor.

10. jennfrank says:

I saw this the other day, and what really struck me was the glamorous expression of horror on Barbie Tippi’s face. Really well done. Then I thought, gee, I like this a lot, but I’d really be wild for it if I watched a lot of Hitchcock and collected Barbies.

So then I sent a link to a friend (I’m staying with her, so I sent it from one sofa to the next) who collects Barbies and watches a lot of Hitchcock. She’s also a walking IMDb of actors and directors from the 30s through the 60s. And anyway, of course she flipped out. Because this doll, it is awesome.

I remember the product description at Entertainment Earth being vaguely snarky, though? Did anyone else notice that? It’s like, fine, you don’t have to be way into Barbies, but you don’t have to be assholes about it, god.

11. John Brownlee says:

They really ought to do one for Vivian Leigh in Psycho, don’t you think? Ken can be Norman Bates.

12. Enochrewt says:

“Math is hard, let’s go get our eyes pecked out.

This is payback for Barbie for bitching about being made a Nascar driver in the 90s. Nobody likes a whiner!

14. Lethe says:

I was thinking of a Kim Novak doll with a set of interchangable wigs (one red, one platinum) and two outfits (a blue sweater and a gray suit). Kids can play out their own creepy, misogynist, psyco-sexual breakdown scenarios in their own homes!

15. Nollie says:

and while we’re at it, why not a Rear Window doll with Jimmy Stewart in a wheel chair, there could even be an accompanying cardboard backdrop of his apartment and the view. Of course there would have to be a Grace Kelly companion doll too…