Tanita Ironman Segmental Body Composition Monitor: It’s a fancy scale

BC-558_IMstraight.jpg

If you’re body image obsessed, Tanita’s new BC-558 scale — they like to call it the “Ironman Segmental Body Composition Monitor” — will allow you not only to weigh your entire carcas but to take separate body mass readings for each limb. It uses bioelectrical impedance analysis just like most scales with body mass features, but multiple electrodes, including two in retractable handgrips, let you freak out that you’re not only fat, but asymmetrically chubby.

The scale costs $300. Consider this one for professional bodybuilders only.

Catalog Page [TheCompetitiveEdge.com]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Tanita Ironman Segmental Body Composition Monitor: It’s a fancy scale

1. Amplifier says:

Glanced at the headline and picture and thought it was the chestplate from the Tanita Ironman Segmental Body Armour. So let down.

2. Antinous says:

It looks like every fat-o-meter that I’ve ever used. The handgrips are the basic working parts. I can’t figure out how you would use it to measure one limb. Hold one handgrip and press your shoulder to one of the pads?

3. Antinous says:

Here’s a fat-o-meter for those of us who like our equipment a little bit girlier.

No thanks. I already have a wii-fit to tell me I’m fat and lean to one side…

5. strider_mt2k says:

Heeey!
    I don’t need some fancy gadget callin’ me an oblate spheroid!

I know.

6. Chevan says:

But there’s no such thing as spot treatment. What use is knowing that my arms weigh more proportionally more than my legs if there’s nothing I can do about it?

Definitely for body builders only; I can see this being of use for muscle content (“gotta work my arms, they’re getting light”), but every day use sounds silly.

7. airship says:

I’m torn. It’s a titanium slab of high-tech coolness so my inner geek is screaming “WANT!” but my oblate spheroid body really doesn’t want to know how much it weighs in that much detail.