‘Excessory Baggage’ piglet purse

excessory_baggage_meryl_smith_3.jpg

While bags are only peripherally related to gadgets, they’re a personal obsession. I have at least half a dozen, each suited for specific scenarios: a backpack with a laptop slot for short trips; a single-strap across-the-chest bag for forays into the city; even a few manpurse-class rucksacks that mostly sit unused, more stylish than practical.

I’m also intrigued by fashion brands — and even more so by counterfeits. Perhaps I’m just too steeped in irony to ever fully appreciate the magisterial disdain for lesser bags a real Louis Vuitton bag affords its owner, but I’ve always thought the iconic pattern works best as a knock-off. A counterfeit version is cooler than the real thing; more in line with its real worth in price, too.

A trinity of swirling appeal, then, in “Excessory Baggage,” a sculpture by Meryl Smith, currently on exhibit at Honey Space. It evokes a future where animals are bred with fashionable patterns and textures, killed with a poison gas as they listen to stories read by a kind English nanny, thrown in a kiln to set the cute, cracked along the spine to create a bone zipper, and set in stacks on the tables of Canal Street knock-off vendors. Every rummage for lipstick or phone provokes a damp waft of delicious, high-grade cracklin’.

The Art of Seeing Vuitton [Danny Daily via Brandish]

Update: Horror! I have realized this is not a piglet, but some sort of dog. I now find it all revolting.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to ‘Excessory Baggage’ piglet purse

1. jonom says:

Why is a pig ok but not a dog?

2. genericvox says:

Please correct your post again, kind sir. This is a new hoof-less mega pig. It’s the perfect carry-on, matches that cute new sun dress, and now comes with 50% more bacon.

“Lastly: swine. I can’t get enough. Next to bulldogs (and the goblins who ride them), pigs are perhaps my favorite animal, both inside and out. Cute as buttons when piglets, terrible lumbering pork dreadnaughts with dead, baleful eyes as adults. Terribly delicious in almost any form. A sweet meat.”

This paragraph is exceedingly disturbing. You say that next to bulldogs they are perhaps your favorite animal; they are cute as buttons. Then, terribly delicious?! I wonder if you would eat a bulldog if you found out they were terribly delicious…

Err yeah. Piglets don’t have paws and claws.

5. help i cant comfirm my username themelonbread says:

Awesomely hideous and effective in its argument! I wanna get this for my friend!

6. BaS says:

So it’s just a designer lifelike sculpture version of these http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?ItemID=14706af&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0& hideous type things that have been around for the past year or so. I find it far better than the ones they actually market to…I don’t know, tweens?

7. Joel Johnson says:

Jonom: I don’t actually find it revolting!