Klimatec Base 1 AirWater machine condenses moisture from the air

base1_waterextractor.jpg

For the modern, would-be Arrakian Fremen, the Klimatec Base 1 Airwater Machine collects the vapor in the air — natural humidity, condensed breath, your own foul aerosolized drippings — and converts it into fresh, clean H20.

Condensing water from the air is already about as clean a source of water as you can find, but if that doesn’t do it for you, there’s also an active carbon filter that runs the water through an ultra violet light chamber to slaughter bacteria. There’s even a solar power option and a mini-fridge to store some beers. Up to five gallons of fresh water can be taken from the air in a 24 hour period… offer not good in Dubai.

Klimatec Base 1 AirWater Machine [Official Site via Red Ferret]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Klimatec Base 1 AirWater machine condenses moisture from the air

1. zuzu says:

Windtraps… also known as a dehumidifier; I think the wording on Engdadget captured the sentiment best:

At first thought, this device is quite clever and yet — isn’t there that nagging feeling that someone should have developed this decades ago?

p.s. I now have an overwhelming urge to play Dune 2 (the original real-time strategy (RTS) game).

p.p.s. Dean Kamen’s Slingshot, seems like magic to me though. “It scrubs CO2 from the atmosphere to generate electricity and convert any liquid into potable water.” or something to that effect; he might as well have called it a GECK.

2. gnosis says:

That link is down, but you can get to their PHPMyAdmin Log on. Not.Too.Smart.

3. clueless in brooklyn says:

The air in most office buildings is usually so stale that the last place I want to get my drinking water is from the old air in my building.. okay, maybe the train car I ride to work would be even worse. Wait, actually my brooklyn neighborhood has some pretty crappy air quality, too.

4. szielins says:

What the devil is this doing under a tag of “Green”? Sarcasm?

5. Latente says:

hum the water from my office air-conditioner it’s all-but-not “clean” it’s very smelly.
    yumm so i can drink the humidity emited by my collegue, fantastic.

ps
    in Dubai humidty is over 50% :P

6. jenjen says:

HA! @pauldrye I was gonna suggest this would be perfect for letting the kids paint with, EXCEPT that it runs on electricity. WHY O WHY didn’t they go the whole nine yards and make this solar powered?

7. jimkirk says:

re: 9, jitrobug,

According to their web site, it’s more like 480 watts, and the noise level is 60 dB, I wouldn’t want to be in the same room. Yep, it’s a fancy dehumidifier with filters and UV antiseptic light.

I like the copy where it says “AirWater begins with nature’s atmospheric water – source created by God.”

8. szielins says:

Only for some species and certain levels of exposure. See
    for background.

Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

10. long-orange-arms says:

hmmm, @JASONGNC: UV water treatment units tend to contain immobilised titanium dioxide (the pigment used in white paint). When this is irradiated with
    UV light, short lived, highly reactive species are formed from dissolved oxygen which kill microrganisms within the water.

The same principle is used with self cleaning window glass – sunlight causes a thin coat of titanium dioxide to produce the same species which then break down grease and grime on the pane.

Not that this water making machine doesn’t sound like a complete con to me in general

Doesn’t ANY dehumidifier do this? And of course the water that you get will have many of the same impurities as the air that you breathe. I know that I’d rather take my chances with tap water than what was sloshing around in my dehumidifier tank.

I have some experience with this fantastic machine. The designers of mine chose to call theirs a “dehumidifier”.

13. Freddie Freelance says:

Let me know when they have one that understands the binary languages of moisture vaporators.

14. Jack says:

Does it speak Bocce?

15. strider_mt2k says:

What about that blue one?

16. stratosfyr says:

I used to toss the water from my dehumidifier in the washing machine, except the new washer drains standing water before it starts so that doesn’t really work anymore. We once used it to fill the toilet after a plumbing… mishap. And it’s good for watering plants.

As for drinking water, for now, I’m just going to keep a pitcher of tap water in the fridge.

This would be great for offices though. Or people who have water coolers but can’t get out to refill the bottles, or have trouble lifting them. (Like my grandparents, who no longer have a car.)

17. jasongnc says:

There is a difference between ozone generators, and UV purification.

Ozone generators use UV along with a catalyst to create ozone from oxygen already in the water. The ozone is an oxidant and will disinfect water just like chlorine.

UV purification involves direct exposure of microorganisms to the UV light. The direct effect of this is to sterilize the organism, which for all intents and purposes destroyes them because the lifespan of most organisms are fairly short.

I had previosly not actually gone to the Klimatec website, because then I would have noted that the schematics show that the water passes through a Reverse Osmosis (R/O) membrane before the UV. No bacteria could possibly pass through the membrane unless the membrane is in a failure state (which may occur quickly with a high bacteria load). I would have designed it with the UV before the R/O and probably would have skipped the R/O completely as airborne water would have extremely low dissolved solids anyway.

18. jasongnc says:

UV Light does not kill bacteria it steralizes it. The bacteria keeps living in the water you will be ingesting, but can not reproduce.

19. pauldrye says:

But for god’s sake, don’t ever give kids a bucket of water from this to play with.

20. mralistair says:

Isn’t drinking a lot of distilled water quite bad for you as it contains no salts? there was a fad of distilled bottled water a while ago but it was shown not to be very healthy.. somehting about leeching salts from your body

21. acx99 says:

Because there’s nothing more refreshing than drinking the condensed sweat of your coworkers!

22. jitrobug says:

Running a dehumidifier to get yourself a few gallons of water seems extremely wasteful.

It’s probably drawing 200-300W, and doing it all the time.

23. MrScience says:

@jenjen… there’s “even a solar power option.” It’s right there in the blog post, no article reading required. :)