Apple files patent for multi-gesture language

apple-multi-touch-gesture-language.jpg

Apple has filed a patent for a new multi-touch gesture language that will allows us program gestures into our computers. Similar to the zoom and rotate gestures currently programmed into the iPhone and MacBook multi-touch touchpads, the new patent describes a Sign Language for touch screens, which uses a minimum of twenty five chords, thirty one combinations and thirteen different motions to tell the OS what it is you want to do. Additionally, the patent specififies the Control, Alt, Shift and Command keys as modifiers.

The patent itself is very interesting, but what is most fascinating to me is that it seems like Apple’s getting serious about not only touchscreen phones and iPods, but computers as well. This patent has “touchscreen iMac” written all over it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they announce one sooner rather than later.

Apple wants to teach us multi-touch gesture language [Unwired View]

This entry was posted in apple and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Apple files patent for multi-gesture language

1. Chevan says:

>This will fail when they don’t get the users to learn it.

I agree with you, but I think that if any company has the kind of brand loyalty required to get users to learn something like this, it will be Apple.

2. g2g says:

Great for small and portable not so sure about making the transition to the main workhorse though.

A small and intensely loyal following will no doubt materialize but most of us will probably stay with mouse, keyboard, and on an adventurous day, stylus.

Credit to Apple for attempting this though, makes up in a small way from their crappy ‘at least we’re not crap like the other team’ TV advertising campaign

3. meehawl says:

@5, Korean companies have been pushing tactile feedback glass for a few years now. Samsung has been the biggest adopter of the feedback tech for touchscreens. Apple may catch up with iPhone 2.5 or 3.0, but it would add more cost. It would take another big drop in memory prices to enable it without cutting margins. Probably at least six months, more like a year.

4. Enochrewt says:

This will fail when they don’t get the users to learn it. Since it’s being patented, Apple won’t most likely won’t let other companies use gesture language (without a crazy fee that they won’t pay) speeding it’s death along at an even greater rate.

How would this work for people with missing fingers, or missing hands? I guess it wouldn’t.

These are the exact same chords used in the fingerworks line of gesture pads and keyboards. Apple bought them a few years ago and has been using their multi-touch interface for their trackpads and multi-touch screens. it’d be nice to see apple start up the production line on the fingerworks keyboards again.

7. bardfinn says:

I can see this as something a geek like me would enjoy incredibly much. I’m all about the macros.

I want to see how it’s done. I have a bit of skepticism about the widespread adoptability of such a thing, but I want it all the same.

8. David Carroll says:

Anything that will improve my Ipod Touch typing speed and accuracy would be welcomed. That is the only thing I really dislike about that gizmo.

I wonder if Apple is working on “soft” tactile bumps/keys that can be programmed to appear on the touch surface? That would be very cool.

Looks like stenography. Hopefully it’s easier to learn!