Hot off the e-wire is an e-press e-release:

CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA – July 8, 2008 – MSI Computer, a leading manufacturer of computer hardware products and solutions, has begun shipping all the pre-ordered Wind U100 notebooks. The Wind, with its speedy new Intel Atom™ 1.6GHz processor, is also on sale at Fry’s and online at www.newegg.com, www.amazon.com, www.frys.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.mwave.com, and www.buy.com. These first notebooks sold will feature Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and a 3-cell battery.

In September, MSI will begin selling a Windows version of the Wind with a 6-cell battery , as well as the Linux version with a 3-cell battery. MSI will also carry a 6-cell battery for customers who wish to upgrade their 3-cell battery in late September.

This version of the Wind costs $500. Amazon has it shipping in “3 to 5 weeks”. I can’t actually find it on Newegg. It’s sold out at Buy.com

It looks like those who didn’t pre-order will still have to wait a bit.

PreviouslyMSI Wind becomes the $400 subnotebook to beat
MSI Wind review: Te enamorarás! Yes, it’s an Eee-killer
MSI Wind delayed a couple weeks, battery life slashed
MSI Wind hacked to run Leopard
ASUS Eee vs. MSI Wind PC: PCMark Fight!
MSI Wind hands-on at Crave
Innards of the MSI’s Wind subnotebook
MSI Wind blows west with yet another low-end subnotebook
MSI’s 8.9″ Wind has a lot of bezel

This entry was posted in subnotebooks. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to MSI Wind subnotebook now shipping pre-orders; Linux, 6-cell battery version in September

1. Rob "Useless Vitriol" Beschizza says:

“What’s the deal with sites not allowing direct linking to a product page”

Hmm? No-one can do that (or at least enforce it) — what do you mean?

2. meerkat says:

I think #1 is asking why companies do not put direct links to products in their press releases.

This press release would be a lot more convincing if there was a link to the product at all those sites, instead of making your search the site for it. One issue, I suppose, is that there are multiple versions of the product…

That said, I do have one of these sweet babies on order from Amazon, this is a beautiful little critter!

3. meerkat says:

4. Moon says:

What’s the deal with sites not allowing direct linking to a product page. That seems counter-productive and it’s only happened recently (at least that I’ve noticed)

???

5. Moon says:

I also don’t get what the advantage of this laptop is: it’s too large to carry in your pocket and it’s not as featured as a regular 12″ or 15″ Dell that sells for about the same price.

6. zuzu says:

I know people joke about what makes a subnotebook vs. UMPC vs. MID and so on. But 11″ subnotebooks make total sense to me, as someone who needs a “real” laptop, but I need one I can carry with me everywhere (including bars) in a slingbag / satchel / “oversized purse”. (I would have preferred an Intel 12″ Powerbook over the Air, personally — but shortened to widescreen proportions, more like the HP MiniNote.)

The UMPC / MID is a grand idea; I look forward to continued development of Ubuntu Mobile and when OSX-for-iPhone gets as robust as OSX-for-laptops. But so far, sufficient power is barely there with these subnotebooks using the new Intel Atom. (I know people like to complain that subnotebooks are spilling over the Asus EeePC $300 price point, but I tend to think of it more from the reference of “at least it’s not $1800 like the OQO“. The compromise for future UMPC / MID are somewhere in the middle… $1000 for a 9″ Newton-like device that can take calls via a bluetooth Jawbone headset, gets at least 2Mbps wireless bandwidth anywhere, and is powerful enough to play 720p movies and get multitasking work done as a regular personal computer. Think of how the mobile phone operated in Global Frequency to get work done as part of a Smart Mob.)

7. Moon says:

I’m thinking of buying something like the WiBrain, which is small enough to stuff in a (big) pocket, but could still run MS Access and has a touchscreen. And it can be held in one hand.

They are relatively cheap at about $700 loaded.