SenseSurface: Stick real knobs to on-screen virtual controls

sensesurface.jpg

Lyndsay Williams of Girton Labs has built this prototype “SenseSurface” system which allows you to attach real, physical knobs to a flat-panel display. The magnetic knobs are measured by a sensor plate in the rear, letting you turn the knob itself to control the software dials. It’s all a test project now, but I could see some people really getting into this. (Although not on laptops so much as dedicated displays.)

Below, a short clip of a prototype SenseSurface knob in action.

Project Page [GirtonLabs.GooglePages.com via Blogs.Guardian.co.uk via Music Thing]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to SenseSurface: Stick real knobs to on-screen virtual controls

1. pork musket says:

That’s pretty cool tech, but I don’t see how it’s any better than just mapping controls to a midi device and using the knobs there. Gives you more flexibility to move the screen layout around but keep the knobs in the same position. I hate having to adjust my knob.

2. Piet Stoaling says:

That is cool. It better than a control surface, beace for one, it saves weight and space! I could think of more… But disadvantages…? How many buttons could you fit on your laptop or even desktop screen? Think of how big a standard sound desk is…

BBUT – Couple this idea with one of those funky flexible organic displays that are being developed, and I’m pretty sure you have a winner!

3. mdhatter says:

PONG!

4. Downpressor says:

file under neat idea by someone who doesnt spend much time producing or only has minimal needs

5. markfrei says:

I love it. Now give me sliders too!

Really usefull and handy :-)
    I wish to view some gears like this : http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=2108.msg6695#msg6695

7. Chevan says:

It reminds me of the Powermate from Griffin, although I found infinitely more use from that piece of gadgetry as a page scroller than a volume knob.

8. gigarizel says:

ah, I have seen this demoed on a Microsoft Surface. http://qik.com/video/125619 look around 20:30

I think it is great because you can save screen real estate, you don’t need all those menus cluttering up your screen and can have a large set of coded knobs for different tasks. It felt very intuitive. How are the knobs held in place in this demo? The MS surface is a flat table so it did not have to hold the knobs in place.