Apple I Basic plucked from vintage cassette tape, turned into MP3

apple1basic.jpg

They very first piece of commercial Apple software — a primordial flavor of BASIC originally released in 1976 that took thirty seconds to load — has been perfectly and authoritatively extracted from a yellowing audio tape and converted into a 38 second MP3, playable in iTunes. Plucky, hyper-intelligent beardos are now dissecting the file and learning its secrets, but their findings are a bit above my head. You can read them in full at the link below. All I feel worthy of commenting upon is the song itself, which is rather catchy — a Music to Make Love To Your Old Lady By as interpreted by antediluvian 70s cyborgs.

1200 Baud Archeology: Reconstructing Apple BASIC from a Cassette Tape [Pagetable via Crunchgear]

This entry was posted in apple and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Apple I Basic plucked from vintage cassette tape, turned into MP3

Anon (#9): That was a lot of fun, thanks.

@4

Where? Oh, you mean FreeBSD? otherwise people wouldn’t buy OS X they would download it.

3. Jerry Kindall says:

There’s a typo on that tape label. To run it, it’d be E000G, not E000R.

I made a quick and silly remix of this in Ableton Live, because it’s better than doing actual work!

Hosted on Tindeck ::

:):)

5. rundgren says:

1. 2. 3. – Takedown Notice. Methinks Apple doesn’t buy the concept of abandonware.

Have they tried running this through the SETI@Home analyzer?

Dave A.

7. avraamov says:

i just played the mp3 and my screen suddenly went monochrome with a single flashing cursor. i had to write a web browser in basic to send this message.

8. Jarvik7 says:

@1:
    Tell that to the free-to-download copies of MacOS on Apple’s ftp site.

I like their old stuff.

10. k386 says:

Man! That first change (~17) is bad ass! And just when you start rocking on it, it hits the break down(~27).. yknow that little metally fill , awesome!
    The endings a little weak though.

11. Brett Burton says:

Back in the day someone wrote a freeware command line MS-DOS app, called simply “play”. It would play any type of audio file and would convert data files to screaming glitchy blasts of sound. I always thought it would be rad to make music with. Too bad they killed MS-DOS.

12. technicallyhesright says:

sounds very much like “luke i am your father”
    only backwards, slowed down, and ran through a compositor
    with extra sprinkles of “ha ha”

I’ll add this to my collection of binaural beats, see if I get any energy from it.

13. jahknow says:

Tim Hecker used this as the beginning of his set at Mutek 2003. Rippin!

14. strider_mt2k says:

Listening to that made me thing I was logging on to a phone line BBS again.

We’re all cracked, aren’t we?

15. zuzu says:

Too bad they killed MS-DOS.

You mean FreeDOS?

16. stAllio! says:

if you enjoy the sounds of apple basic I, you should check out databending: the creative misuse of data. a number of electronic musicians have used these types of sounds; i personally released a 12″ record of songs composed entirely of sounds i got from sonifying raw data on my hard drive.

17. sirspocksalot says:

@#9 – brilliant!

18. Kieran O'Neill says:

*sigh* 1200 baud. I haven’t heard that in years

Happy days as a youngster loading games into the C64 from tapes that got as long as 5 minutes, some of which had to be turned over and played on the reverse side, too.

Then we got a disc drive, and it was as big as the entire computer, but man did that make life easier…