jawboneticket.jpg

Aliph make a pretty good Bluetooth headset, I’ve heard, but I think I respect them just as much for their clever marketing of the Jawbone. First they let CES attendees trade their old Bluetooth headsets for a Jawbone. Now they’re giving a $20 discount on the new Jawbone to anyone who was recently gotten a ticket for talking on a cell phone without a headset. Clever. They’ve even tied their site into what I presume are the public ticketing records for each state to verify that you actually received a citation.

I’m reading a pre-press copy of Tom Vanderbilt’s fascinating book “Traffic” about cars and how they shape us individually and as a society. (More on the book soon, including an interview with Mr. Vanderbilt.) One point of interest from the book regarding Bluetooth, however: some studies indicate that even using a Bluetooth headset doesn’t greatly diminish accidents. The problem isn’t just noodling with the phone controls or looking away from the road, but simply being occupied with anything else but driving.

Still, a headset is better than no headset, I figure.

Jawbone page (there’s no direct link) [Jawbone.com]

PreviouslyAliph’s updated Jawbone Bluetooth headset reviewed (Verdict: Smaller but just as quirky)

6 Responses to Jawbone maker giving $20 off if you got a traffic ticket for not using a Bluetooth headset

1. kilranian says:

You are correct that it isn’t the act of holding a phone that distracts you; it’s the conversation. That’s the worst part about all of the legislation banning hand-held cell phone usage. They are making useless laws simply so they appear to be doing something.

2. dderidex says:

The blurb has the valid point – distraction is distraction. While I imagine the Bluetooth headset marginally reduces the amount of distraction, ‘distraction’ is still ‘distraction’.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed, however, as I rarely drive, so have a greater appreciation for how much concentration it does take when doing it properly. Heck, I’ve found myself making stupid mistakes when WALKING to the office and talking on a cell phone, and…I mean…that’s walking

Still, it’s definitely a clever marketing gimmick.

3. Jeff9821 says:

When you are using one hand to hold a phone to your ear, you have (at most) only one hand on the wheel. Ergo, you are not in control of your car.

Using a headset is inherently safer than driving while holding a phone to your ear.

4. Chevan says:

It’s very true that any distraction at all has as much of an impact on your attention on the road as talking on the phone, but when you’re talking to the person next to you you’ve still got two hands on the wheel.

5. chrisb says:

It doesn’t appear to check the ticket number – I just typed 1234567890 and it worked fine. Nice marketing trick!

6. mdhatter says:

Passengers know when to stop distracting you. Your mother-in-law does not. Don’t talk and drive.