Ripple Mini Chocolate is Atom-based, Mac Mini-like

20080723100332390.jpg

If not for that dreadful, two-inch tall logo etched into the front, doing its damnedest to fontographically evoke the logo font of the Apple IIe, the Ripple .mini Chocolate would be a rather attractive solution for light weight computer tasks.

The Korean company has basically taken the look of the Mac Mini and slapped a low-wat 1.6Ghz Atom CPU inside, along with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a slot-loading optical drive. There’s only ethernet, no wifi, but the power supply only chews up 60 watts, but at a price of only $200, it’s not a bad deal for an always-on media server or the like.

But yeesh. That Ripple on the front. I sort of admire the incompetent cleverness of the attempt, but this would be a far more plausible Mac Mini knock-off if they hadn’t tried to channel a twenty year old Apple logo. Of course, covering it up is a simple matter: that’s what the stickers of Porter Joel hands out to all of his friends are for.

Myripple to launch its mini form factor PC ‘ripple mini chocolate’ [AVING]

This entry was posted in apple, pc and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Ripple Mini Chocolate is Atom-based, Mac Mini-like

Look at those truly beautiful 4 screws you can see in the picture. The lid comes off! You can get inside and no doubt add memory. Something that nice Mr. Steve Jobs doesn’t want you to do with a real Mac Mini where you have to consult the web to find out how to take it apart.

Now here’s an idea. The nice Mr Jobs owns an excellent OS and he makes computers whereas Mr Ballmer has built a Turkey with the nice name Vista. So if Mr Jobs would offer me an Atom based Mac Mini for say $200 to include his OS, I don’t see how I could refuse. OSX pre-installed ready to roll on a low power machine. I suspect they could sell tens of millions. Few real Mac fans would want a low end solution, so this should not cannibalize iMac and Mac Pro sales. In any case the risk is probably worthwhile, think of the upgrades H/W and S/W Mr Jobs could sell to me and tens of millions of other new Mac mini owners. The timing is perfect. VISTA is not really an upgrade for XP users, nor is Windows 7 – Ballmer has left the barn door wide open. The ideal computer for tough economic times. Half the hardware, one quarter the electric power and far more than twice the user experience of VISTA. I could see 50% market share looming, especially amongst young people, tomorrow’s consumers. Apple invented the GUI OS for consumers, why not give VISTA the beating it so richly deserves?

Of course, if Mr Jobs was really converted, Apple could even include a small proprietary (but licensed) expansion slot in an Atom based Mac mini. Perhaps accessible without removing a lid. Then I could have the two dual link DVI ports, that are probably beyond Mr Jobs’ current vision for an Atom based Mac.

But then with Mr Job’s aversion to screws all the above is probably just a dream and if you had those dreams would you or could you work for Steve?

Perhaps Michael Dell can still sleep at night!

2. OoerictoO says:

no svideo port. bummer, otherwise i might attempt a settop box with it.

3. Joel Johnson says:

I would buy this today for $200.

4. strider_mt2k says:

I’d just cover that logo with a cooler sticker.

Seems pretty cool for the price.

5. macrumpton says:

The power consumption is nothing special. My intel 17″ iMac draws 55 watts and that includes the screen. When the screen is sleeping it draws less than 30.
    For a little more money I am pretty sure that you could buy a used/refurbished/yearbeforelastmodel laptop would draw less power, include a screen, WiFi, keyboard and be portable on top of it all.

6. guy_jin says:

IMHO, Apple’s stuff from the ’80s is far more attractive than anything they make today.

I would totally buy this. And then put a little rainbow apple on it.

7. bcsizemo says:

At least the logo doesn’t ripple….

8. mdhatter says:

I was wondering what to do with that apple sticker I got with my mini.

Now I know.

9. LightningCrash says:

If only it were steampunk

10. minTphresh says:

what’s it run on? linux? the link doesn’t specify.

11. Toby says:

I can’t quite imagine why it’d need 60W (twice what my mac mini uses flat-out) if the Ripple is Atom-based. I built a low-power machine in a lunchbox that’s whirring away in my closet, and it’s drawing 35W with a proper 3.5in HD.

Speaking of the devil, Codinghorror had a nice discussion of rolling your own little machines yesterday, with many better possibilities.