Zune man annoyed with MS, to get rid of tattoos

zune_tattoo_1.jpg

Mszunefan will no longer be welcoming us to the social.

The Zune fanatic who inked himself with the music player’s logo and motto is sick of them and plans to obscure them with fresh artwork. This from a post he wrote to Zunescene’s forums, titled “I am done with the Zune…covering up my tattoos:”

I am done. I have had the Zune since day 1 and have noticed little improvement. I have tried my best to support them every step of the way but the recent Xbox Live announcement at E3 made me lose it. To not include Zune Marketplace or the ability to load videos from Xbox Live to your Zune made me finally give up. I am in the works of figuring the best way to get a new tattoo to cover the logo on my arm. Thanks for all the harsh comments and you will see very little of me anymore.

Dealing with the Zune “spastic swastika” logo should be easy enough, but how do you obscure text?

Forum Post [ZuneScene via Wired: Listening Post]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Zune man annoyed with MS, to get rid of tattoos

1. Not a Doktor says:

I thought the zune logo kinda looked like a wireframe poptart with it’s arms out doing the shimmy.

2. Chris Tucker says:

Microsoft is STILL selling the Zune?

Whoops! That should be, “Microsoft is STILL offering the Zune for sale?”

Who knew?

3. bademailname says:

I have a cover-up for a tattoo about the same size as either of those of Mr. Morbidly Obese. It’s just another coat of paint to the skin; not hard to hide at all.

On a brighter note, I agree with John that it will be an absolute motherfucking pleasure not to see his picture anymore.

4. SamF says:

He could always just go extreme left and change his tattoo to read “Welcome to the socialist revolution.”

Or he could turn this:

Wel
    come
    to the
    social

into this:

Well, it has recently
    come to my attention that paying homage
    to the Zune was seen by many as a
    social stigma.

Sure, this guy might be a doofus — make fun of his tattoos, his smug smile. They’re fair game. But his weight? Really? Making fun of fat people is so easy and a guaranteed ego booster for people who have small hearts and teeny minds.

If this guy annoyed you, fine. Make fun of his obnoxiousness, but his weight has NOTHING to do with it. Seriously, grow up Brownlee and everyone else ragging on this guy’s weight.

6. Green House Brand says:

“…the recent Xbox Live announcement at E3 made me lose it.”

Really? it wasnt the shit user interface? or the DRM handcuffs? or the awesome wireless zune to zune song swaps that only plays 3 times before it self destructs? i guess FM transmitters go a long way, which makes sense cause its not like you have your personal music collection in convenient MP3 format to listen to on the thing.

i think anyone who gets marketing propaganda permanently inked on themselves must be slightly misguided in life. but in this case, i think a better marketing campaign to have tattooed would be Taco Hells “Think Outside the Bun”

7. strider_mt2k says:

samf wins.

8. joeposts says:

Welcome to the ice cream social?

9. idl3mind says:

@#4, Good one :)

he could get big solid black tattoos like Tom Commerford from Rage Against The Machine. http://tinyurl.com/593op8

10. King Geek says:

I love it… As someone in that forum posting pointed out, if you do a Google image search for “fail”, his picture is the very first result.

11. Chrs says:

Speaking of text, the Zune and its advertising campaign are both so poorly known that without the combined power of the logo at its side, the text is of unrecognizable origins. And… okay, it’s kind of a cool phrase out of context.

12. mykie says:

Wow, man, did you actually expect complete interoperability between Microsoft’s products?

13. washizu says:

All hail SAMF

14. John Brownlee says:

Comments from BBG’s Editor chat room yesterday, re: Zune guy getting his tattoos removed:

“It’s fully commodified punk ethic: to be worthless, subsumed within a consumption machine.”

“Realized the only way his life could ever mean anything at all was by making a hopeless and pathetic consumerist gesture… then, a year later, realized the only way he could continue to mean anything was to take that hopeless, pathetic gesture back… publicly.”"

We fought back the urge to actually post these comments, since we like to try to stay upbeat, but we were glad to see the metaphorical backside of mszunefan. He’s just everything wrong with both the Internet and consumerism, rolled up into a greasy, punchable face.

15. zesty chester says:

Brownlee, I had no idea you were infecting BoingBoing with your fetid ectoplasm all this time. Mayhaps BoingBoing is not as forgiving of your comments as Ectomo is.

There is a good chance that his current weight is tied in to his offensive awkwardness in some way. Which is not to say I believe/agree with the causative property of belly fat to induce loserdom as TNH suggests of Brownlees comments.

I think the question you should be asking yourself is whether he would be as big of a douchebag if he was thinner. I think there is a good chance that answer is yes – which is a lot of wasted gym money for you Brownlee.

I suggest you just give him a lightsaber, disorient him, and videotape his attempt to self right and dub him “Father of the Star Wars Kid.”

16. magic whiskey says:

One has to wonder why someone would get a Zune tattoo in the first place. It’d be like getting a tattoo of the Westinghouse crown thingy.

Speaking of failed technology, he should just cover it with a Virtual Boy icon.

17. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

So, being overweight automatically means you’re a loser, and disgusting besides?

I think all of you should just shut your mouths. who are you to talk really? get a life and grow up before i start tearing all of you fuckin people up!

19. el_beardo says:

i think me and jabba the hut can get our tatts removed together. his being the cats-cradle yarn lookin’ logo thingy (i dare not even mention that products name) and mine being george w. bush. or maybe i’ll just have mine moved to my ass. we’ll see what jabba (or maybe pizza the hut) thinks!

20. strider_mt2k says:

Oh just roll with it, Shilly McShillerson.

21. NateMC says:

Cover it up?

Bowling Ball.

22. Evan Rappaport says:

Not one suggestion that he cover it with a big black apple logo? I’m shocked.

23. Halloween Jack says:

He could have the motto tattooed into solid black bars and pretend it’s a Black Flag logo.

Oh, who cares? Back liposuction and a skin tuck. Cover it with a clown from a John Wayne Gacy painting. He has nowhere to go but up.

24. Downpressor says:

if he had a Mr. Microphone tattoo it would be better.

25. mgfarrelly says:

I’ve always thought this man was some form of performance artist, mocking consumer culture obsessions (the cult of mac and the like) by becoming a “super-fan” of one of the most ridiculously broken piece of technology.

Sadly he’s just…sad.

And fat jokes? Really? Step boldly out of 5th grade and elevate your game like SAMF.

26. John Brownlee says:

Better yet, go on a fucking diet. If him eliminating his Zune tattoos means I don’t have to see piles of hirsute, fetid blubber on the front page of gadget sites, I’ll pay for the gym membership myself.