Welcome to the mainstream: subnotebook from Sylvania

black.jpg

Sylvania’s g netbook MESO is an Intel Atom-brained 9″ subnote with an 80GB hard drive, weighing in at 2.2 pounds and running XP or Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Sylvania’s a Wal-Mart staple, but there’s no plans for it to hit the megabox. The whiff of mainstream success can’t be far off for the new category.

It’ll come in white, yellow and pink, and hopefully cost under $500.

Update: Fixed some mistakes and dumb assumptions of mine. Thanks, Beth!

Sylvania to enter expanding netbook market [Out of the Box]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Welcome to the mainstream: subnotebook from Sylvania

1. se7a7n7 says:

Hmmm, I wonder if you could buy the XP version and do the refusal of Microsoft license thing to get $50 back. Then install Ubuntu yourself, making the laptop cost $250?

2. strider_mt2k says:

Hep Cat, That isn’t the same product.

3. Halloween Jack says:

I can come in white and yellow (well, really more of a grayish-yellow) for a lot less than $500, and if that’s the budget that you’re allowing, I’d happily work on pink.

4. hep cat says:

329.99 here.

It looks like the smallest cheapest laptop you can get with a 30 gig HDD which is enough for me to want one

5. shutz says:

“It’ll come in white, yellow and pink,” but the picture shows a black unit? Or is that a very dark shade of white?

6. Rajio says:

Why does it seem like every subnotebook comes in pink? i dont think even 14 year old girls want a pink one.

7. ross_rubin says:

Sylvania has neither confirmed the price of the netbook nor that Wal-Mart will be selling it. I’ve updated the post to clarify this:

8. PRLady says:

Thanks Ross. It’s NOT AT WAL-MART and it’s NOT $299. By the way, I’m getting a pink one (but I’m not 14!)

9. PRLady says:

10. Joel Johnson says:

Any netbook I buy will be in Pink. I am That Guy.

11. teamrice says:

comment #10 – thats really gross –
    and also, is ugly cheaper to produce? why do cheap things always look so cheap?

12. royaltrux says:

80 gig drive – that’s great for some people but not for battery life.

13. jitrobug says:

ubuntu at walmart would make my brain hurt..

like that time Conan O’Brien did the last hours in hitler’s bunker, as enacted by puppies and kittens.