Alton Brown profiled by Chemical & Engineering News

altonbrown.jpg

Chemical & Engineering News profiles one of my heros, Mr. Alton Brown, star of Good Eats and my future best friend. Turns out Mr. Brown isn’t just a motorcycle enthusiast, but also a scuba diver. (And, of course, a great cook and charming television presenter.) He’s a gadget lover, too, and has consulted with General Electric:

Aside from branching out to speak to various scientific communities, Brown’s also been hired by industry as a consultant. His first foray was with General Electric, which asked him to teach their engineers how food cooks because GE thought it would help workers build better appliances. “The industry guys began to realize that if they did understand what goes on inside a cookie when it bakes, maybe it would make a difference in how appliances are designed,” he says. Brown’s advice contributed to GE’s line of Trivection ovens that combine thermal, convection, and microwave energies to cook food faster. He also appears in short videos on the GE appliance website (www.geappliances.com).

An Appetite For Science [Pubs.ACS.org via Serious Eats]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Alton Brown profiled by Chemical & Engineering News

1. mujadaddy says:

Zeta: Disagree. Two words: Beef Roulade.

ubernym, thanks for the tip on the stovetop mac. I make mac & cheese from scratch (well, not-from-a-box at least), but it’s not as good as his recipe sounds. I’m gonna give it a shot.

3. jitrobug says:

Reading about his beer making show made me trust him a bit less…

4. strider_mt2k says:

The guy is talented end entertaining as hell to watch on TV.

I can’t watch an episode of “Good Eats” without picking up something I can use right away on my own cooking.

I heard he hates fat people. Kind of a tough trait for a guy on foodie shows.

6. mujadaddy says:

Indeed, even if the dish isn’t to my taste, the foodscience is very interesting and practical.

7. Marley9 says:

Alton friggin rocks! By far my favorite show on my favorite channel. As soon as I have five hundred dollars laying around that does not get spent on computer or camera equipment, I am gonna lay it down on his 54 DVD set.

8. w000t says:

I’m a big fan of Brown, but I’ve always wished that Harold McGee, Brown’s über-geek predecessor would get more credit and attention. Anyway, if you’re a fan of Alton Brown, you’ll probably also like Harold McGee.

9. airship says:

If we still had a pantheon, Alton would be the God of Cooking.

(But I do wish he’d learn not to say ‘uh’ every other word.)

10. scriptedfate says:

#4: The ‘uh’ is because he wears an earpiece that feeds him his lines. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Eats#Trivia )

…personally, I find it part of his charm :D

Has anyone else tried his braised ribs? My [insert-deity-name-here], they’re awesome.

11. ubernym says:

Good Eats is the only cooking show that’s ever inspired me enough to cook what I saw on the show. Alton’s stovetop mac recipe is as household favorite, and it’s so easy to make. I’ll never buy boxed mac again, which is AWESOME.

I love you Alton Brown.

12. zeta says:

I don’t know. Altons Show may be interesting, and yes, I learned a few things – but there was never ever a recipe where I thought: I must try that. He is all about the science of cooking, but none of the art.