Adaptive Eyewear: Fluid-filled spectacles for use in developing economies

“Adaptive Eyewear” is a fascinating program out of the UK. By injecting various amounts of fluid into the lenses of thick glasses, then removing the syringes on either side once the correct vision is achieved. That makes it possible to ship one set of glasses to thousands of people instead of trying to send out a variety of lenses to match all needs — not to mention allowing users to dial in their own prescription.

It sounds like the project has been around for several years. The company reports that thousands of pairs of glasses have been distributed by U.S. peacekeeping forces. Newer, lighter models are in the works. Fantastic stuff.

Project Page [Adaptive-Eyecare.com via MeFi]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Adaptive Eyewear: Fluid-filled spectacles for use in developing economies

1. Enochrewt says:

#5 Moon: To stick it to the man, sonny, to stick it to the man.

2. se7a7n7 says:

Great story. I would like to know about how much these glasses cost.

I’d like to know how the apparatus avoids the “bubble”. Is it already fluid filled and the wearer adds to it? I still love it.

I have met Josh Silver and talked about this project with him – he is brilliant, and while he expects to make money on this idea, it will be because of the volume of distribution, not because the price is too high for the millions of pweople in need of the item.

The link provided for this product is incorrect. The correct link is adaptive-eyewear.org. The product manufactured today is far superior to the old product most frequently pictured on the web.

I would love to be able to purchase these in a developed country because of their ability to change prescription via a simple process. Reasons?

- I don’t want to wear bifocals when I’m looking only at things close or far. It is much simpler to adjust the lenses in advance, and use them across one’s entire visual field.

- My vision, like everyone’s, changes as I age, and I have to get my eyes checked again and again and purchase new lenses. With adjustable glasses I could simple add or remove a little fluid every year.

- I spend most of my time working at a nearby computer screen, and all this close vision work increases my tendency for myopia. With adjustable lenses I could allow my ciliary muscles time to relax, by causing the screen to appear in focus farther than it should, and stave off nearsightedness.

These glasses would be invaluable for purchase. I failed to find them on EBay, which is unfortunate.

7. Enochrewt says:

I want to know how much they cost as well, because I want a pair. I have to get my first pair of glasses ever (oh old age, you suck) and I would want them to be these awesome ugly things.

8. madsci says:

#3 – Yeah, but the shigawire ear pieces are horrendously uncomfortable!

(The Holtzman field also drives the worms into a frenzy…)

9. Moon says:

I don’t really think you want a pair if you have access to a Perle Vision. What for?

10. Moon says:

HA! OK, then!!
    :D

11. Takuan says:

do they make them with force fields holding oil yet?