Report: Movie listings app removed from iPhone AppStore

box_office_missing.jpg

When Apple temporarily removed NetShare from its AppStore, it made sense: the program let people use the iPhone as a modem. The reinstatement, if anything, was the odd part. Apple’s now removed Box Office, a popular movie listings program with no obviously naughty purpose, leading developers Metasyntactic to drink at the waters of WTF:

Apple pulled the app yesterday without giving my any notification that they were doing it, or what their justification was for removing it.

I’ve tried to contact them about the issue, but it’s been a complete dead end. If anyone has a useful contact number for apple, please let me know.

I’m in regular contact with all my data providers, and none of them have had an issue with my app. Indeed, the response was the exact opposite. They like my app and have even asked if i would do custom application work for them in the future. Furthermore, all the data i use is licensed by the owners as ‘free for non commercial use’. i.e. precisely what BoxOffice is.

So i’m stuck here not knowing what has happened, or what i can do about it. If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. You can respond here, but i’d actually appreciate a reply at cyrusn@stwing.upenn.edu since i probably won’t check back here that often.

Wasn’t the expectation always that Apple would be somewhat capricious about what it lets play in its sandbox?

Apple Pulls Box Office from App Store?
[iPhone Blog via Cult of Mac]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Report: Movie listings app removed from iPhone AppStore

1. hemidemisemiquaver says:

You guys must have very low resolution screens.

2. phazeaction says:

#5: no. only you.

um, the app was a free app that had a giant “Donation” button in it, circumventing apple’s 30% cut. Play by the rules you agree to: if you want money for your app, charge for it. If not, don’t.

I have the app and would gladly have paid for it within the bounds set by the store. The author of the app tried to bend the rules and got boned for it. I can’t honestly sympathize with him on this. If that makes me a bad geek, oh well.

4. cubey says:

“MIGHTYMOUSE1584: did anyone else instinctively try to hit the “ok” button on the error message in the picture? weird.”

As soon as I saw the error box, my mouse twitched to clear it. And if you ring a bell, I drool!

5. mdhatter says:

MightyMouse, Cubey, too true.

6. rAMPANTiDIOCY says:

this is the second time in 12 hours i have seen “my” used as an alternate for “me” (presumably typos). strange. but i can’t recall where i saw the other.

7. Berylium says:

This is purely a guess but we know the long iPhone sync times with iTunes are due to iTunes sending Apple crash reports. Box Office is a popular application. Perhaps Apple pulled Box Office due to an inordinate amount of crash reports? Apple definitely has issues with iPhone OS 2.0 I can see them pulling apps that they know to be causing hangs and crashes to keep the perceived stability of the OS up.

Still seems odd that the developer wouldn’t be contacted…

8. zuzu says:

The information brokers for movie listings and television schedules are also extremely capricious about how their compiled data is accessed and used.

They treat the sharing of such knowledge with the secrecy normally ascribed to mildly illegal dealings: who sells the good weed, which massage parlors provide the “happy ending”… and what time does Family Ties come on.

p.s. once again why I thought Zittrain’s book and its criticisms of “tethered appliances” was worth a read.

9. brianary says:

It’s completely surprising that a dictatorship would result in capricious and arbitrary judgments!

10. mightymouse1584 says: