Periodic rings, elemental bling

Thumbnail image for periodicrings.jpg

These periodic table rings are certainly expensive: a silver ring is $280, where as gold is $2,350 and platinum rings $6,6600. That means a full set will cost you anywhere between $2,240 and $52,800. That is a bit much for science geek bling.

That said, I think that if the signet’s designs were divorced from the ring’s elemental composition and if the entire periodic table was opened up, some fun could be had. I imagine fingers bedecked with periodic bling, enantiomorphically spelling out my most cherished atomic configurations in throbbing purple brandings on a bar fight opponent’s jaw ridge. 116 16 1 113 / 73 9 114 115. Uuh S H Uut / Ta F Uuq Uup.

Periodic Rings [Official Site via Shiny Shiny]

Update: Commenters have noticed that this is a dupe. I remain defiant. Surely, the twenty minutes I spent figuring out how to write obscenities on eight knuckles using only elemental abbreviations deserves its own post. It’s not like I’m going to get some chance to reuse that gag. Instead, I invite everyone to enter the comments and figure out OTHER curses you can spell with eight fingers using the periodic table. It’ll be fun!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Periodic rings, elemental bling

1. trr says:

Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Iodine Nitrogen’
    Deuterium Uranium Phosphorus Einsteinium!

Iodine Hydrogen Astatine Einsteinium Dysprosium Uranium Phosphorus Einsteinium.

2. technogeek says:

As long as we’re at it: Why not aluminum, for those of us amused by the idea but with no need to show off expensive materials? Or copper, which is starting to become valuable again (yeah, I know, it may tarnish and stain skin)?

Carbon, carved out of a block of anthracite rather than diamond… Too fragile?

I do sorta agree with the observation that only folks who have special powers related to the element in question should wear one of these. (Who else remembers the Metal Men?) I guess that means I need one in silicon.

3. John Brownlee says:

Eh, you know what? I don’t even care. I think my spelling of “Shut the Fuck Up” using only elemental abbreviations warrants its own post!

4. pork musket says:

I admire your steadfastness. Now you just need to convince someone on the main BB site to post it again to complete the cycle. http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/21/periodic-table-jewel.html

5. Tinkergirl says:

There’s a page called the CHeMoTiPEr that will turn any word or words into element symbols as best it can:

6. pork musket says:

B O In Ge B O In Ge

7. Rob Beschizza says:

But of course Xeni would have to include it in a BBTV production.

You realize of course that the text you leave on your bar fight foe’s face will be backwards, – yes?

9. John Brownlee says:

@15: yes. That’s why I specifically mentioned it in my post. “Enantiomorphically” is my favorite word!

…I thought you’d need the engraving backwards on the rings, but no: this isn’t a warning to passers-by but to your victim self-regarding in the mirror. Nice.

“I remain defiant. Surely, the twenty minutes I spent figuring out how to write obscenities on eight knuckles using only elemental abbreviations deserves its own post.” Most definitely, thanks for the post. Still chuckling.

12. Tommy says:

I wouldn’t pay $2,350 for that gold ring. Now, if it were shaped like a Legion flight ring, I might.

I don’t know about your barfight rings, I can’t imagine paying that much for something that lasts a small fraction of a second. Even a trip in Branson’s spaceship last a couple of minutes. Although branding your opponents like The Phantom has appeal.

14. BCJ says:

So far, I have 6 (well, 5 and a variant spelling)
    YOU BAsTaArDy
    (Yttrium, Oxygen Uranium Boron Arsenic Tantalum Argon Dysprosium)

YOU BaSTaArDy
    (Yttrium, Oxygen Uranium Barium Sulpher Tantalum Argon Dysprosium)

YOURe Ac CuNTe
    (Yttrium, Oxygen Uranium Rhenium Actinium Copper Nitrogen Tellurium)

YU DyRhTi WHoEr
    (Yttrium Uranium Dysprosium Rhodium Titanium Tungsten Holmium Erbium

DyRhTi AsS WHoEr
    (Dysprosium Rhodium Titanium Arsenic Sulpher Tungsten Holmium Erbium)

YOU FFAgOTe
    (Yttrium, Oxygen Uranium Flaurine Flaurine Silver Oxygen Tellurium)

15. SimeonW says:

They only go up to size 9?!? Bastards! Although, that would make the platinum one a bad-ass pinkie ring for me.

I am surprised that they don’t have a titanium ring, too.

16. strider_mt2k says:

I see what you did there!

Titanium for me too!

17. BCJ says:

And 3 More

I Am MoErONIC
    (Iodine Americanium Molybdenum Erbium Oxygen Nitrogen Iodine Carbon)

I Am SNOBBY
    (Iodine Americanium Sulpher Nitrogen Oxygen Boron Boron Yttrium)

I WAs SO OWNd
    (Iodine Titanium Arsenic Sulpher Oxygen Oxygen Titanium Neodynium)

Or, if you feel so inclined,
    I WAs SO PWNd
    (Iodine Titanium Arsenic Sulpher Oxygen Phosphorus Titanium Neodynium)