Sony Ericsson makes the futuristic phone I wanted in 1987

set700phone.jpg

T700 is Sony Ericsson’s successor to the T610 candybar phone. Doesn’t it look like what we might have seen in the 1980s if the 1980s had today’s cell phone tech? No curvaceous milling and roundrects here, but sharp corners and an old-school metal hardness.

A quad-band 3G GSM model, it has has a 2″ display, 512MB of storage, a 3.2-megapixel camera and stereo speakers. It will appear in the fourth quarter, offered in silver, black and silver, and black and red.

Wouldn’t a whole laptop made in this exact style be great?

Press release [Sony Ericsson via Gizmodo]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sony Ericsson makes the futuristic phone I wanted in 1987

1. scaught says:

I love my iphone, but prior to that I was all SE phones.

I still think they’re sweet everytime BBG or giz posts about them. Even if I did have problems with every one of them (reception, charging problems)

2. Garr says:

I’m not a big fan of SE’s designs, but this does show a great improvement on the aptly named candybar phones released to date. The buttons do like a bit hard to hit, though.

And yes, you’re absolutely right about the laptop idea. But then, Sony could almost rival Apple with it’s pricing models (I’m thinking Vaio).

3. Clay says:

This is the kind of industrial design I’ve always imagined reading William Gibson’s Sprawl trilogy.

An Ono-Sendai would totally have buttons like that.

4. ROSSINDETROIT says:

This looks like the remote control to a high end mini audio system from Denon, Kyocera or Luxman, circa 1983. I like the look but I’ll bet it gets very fingerprinty.

5. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Thanks for the link, Muteboy. I’ll share that with the vintage audio fans on AudioKarma.

6. Rob Beschizza says:

Folks, check out my fantasy MID based on this.

7. ankh says:

Hmmm, this reminds me —

anyone ever build a Bluetooth headset into an ordinary old dial phone handset?

I’ve noticed how many people shout into their cell phones or headsets — and recall the reason the original Bell handset was made as a hollow tube was so some of your speaking voice would echo up the handle and feed back to your ear clearly.

I’d be very happy to leave my cellphone in my backpack across the room with Bluetooth turned on — and just have a simple old standard Bell phone handpiece on my desk to talk through.

Room for a nice big battery too, but remember not to block the hollow part of the handle!

Best of both millenia.