Brütül Lagerhead makes pouring black & tans more turtley

brutullagerhead.jpg

The Brütül “Lagerhead” is a little turtle-shaped device that makes pouring a perfect black & tan simple. There’s not much the Lagerhead does that an inverted spoon couldn’t manage, but spoons don’t have integrated beer openers and stubby little legs. It’s ten bucks, which isn’t awful for something so unnecessary. Perhaps I’m just being nice because I like turtles.

Product Page [Brutul.com via Coolest-Gadgets]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Brütül Lagerhead makes pouring black & tans more turtley

1. chef says:

OMG BEER NERDZ RUN

2. mightymouse1584 says:

very cool, but i wish you could get it to sit a little deeper in the glass. The further you can get that spoon to rest in there the better.

3. randomcat says:

Huh, I looked at the picture and thought, “why would they make it look like a squirrel that’s been run over by a truck?”

Then I looked at the caption and realized I had confused the head with the tail. I still think it looks more like a flattened squirrel than a turtle, though.

4. Thaddeus Smith says:

why is it always about the black and tan? why never a mention of the black velvet (or poor man’s black velvet, especially tasty with a shot of black currant)?

better distinction in the layers and the mix of a good stout with the sweet cider, or traditionally champagne, is fantastic.

*shrug*

5. jonrock says:

Layering the beers is a clever trick to justify overcharging the tourists. If you’re going to experiment with blending beer, just do it. In fact, bring a long spoon for stirring. My favorite: Sierra Nevada Pale Porter.

6. Thaddeus Smith says:

nay nay ..it is not to make the beer look pretty. i tried making the cider and stout version at home and it went horribly awry, mixing in an instant. the flavor is truly different between starting the sip with a stout and ending with a cider vs. a mix of stout and cider in a single swig.

7. proto says:

Starbucks at sunrise, black & tan at sunset — all the rest is small stuff.

8. Halloween Jack says:

Yes, there are all sorts of variations.

And, yes, #12, it’s a name long associated with shame, as Brütül’s own site helpfully points out. That, however, didn’t keep me from enjoying Ben & Jerry’s Black and Tan ice cream, or from being sad when they yanked the flavor after protests regarding the name.

9. pupdog says:

It actually sits fairly deep in the glass, for this type of tool. The video has much better shots of it in use. I DO have issue with it being named the ‘lagerhead’. Charming turtle-y puns aside, lager is not part of a black and tan, that’s a half and half.

$10 isn’t bad, but Bass was giving away ‘Bass Brollys’ for free earlier this year, to jump on the St. Pat’s advertising train. My favorite barkeep (A native Dubliner) and I got quite a chuckle out of that.

10. gobo says:

Or go to bass.com and get the free Bass Brolly to do the same thing.

11. pork musket says:

@2 – I’m a fan of a good snakebite myself, although I always have to specify lager and not stout because lots of places make it with stout. But a touch of blackcurrant is indeed fantastic.

12. Moon says:

You are spending $10 on something to make a beer look pretty??

I’d rather have the beer.

Why would anyone pollute good stout? And bother dying beer green?

Alas, the Brolly is now a hefty $15 for a gadget that isn’t nearly as cool. No longer free — in the US, any way.

Guinness occasionally offers a beer spoon, too.

15. tmccartney says:

Black & tan = stout + (lager or ale)
    Snakebite = cider + (stout or lager or ale)

I do wish you had not referred to a Black and Tan. The term has a long an ignoble sectarian history.
    I make a similar drink by mixing Guinness with Boddingtons bitter. We call it a Dudchester as its two constituents are respectively from Dublin, Republic of Ireland and Manchester, England.

17. jkpenny says:

I have this kit and I love it. Definitely a lot less fuss than a spoon. And the turtle’s pretty sweet to boot.