BMW ZX-6 concept by Jai Ho Yoo and Lukas Vanek

BMW-ZX-6-Concept-2-lg.jpg

Many of these concept car designs by third-year students at the Instituto Europea di Design in Turin, part of a partnership with BMW, are interesting, but this “ZX-6 Concept” by Jai Ho Yoo and Lukas Vanek takes the cake. It’s provocative in shape and cleverly integrates trademark BMW scallops with an interesting new way for doors to operate. It’s probably impossibly ambitious, but it’s the first concept car I’ve seen in a while that actually looks futuristic. Or at least novel.

Brownlee hates it, though — says it “looks like a butter dish.”

IED Thesis: BMW 2015 Concept [CarBodyDesign.com via Core77]

This entry was posted in italy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to BMW ZX-6 concept by Jai Ho Yoo and Lukas Vanek

1. mdhatter says:

BMW’s look enough like sneakers already.

2. things says:

You’re not impressed with Aptera? I admit not as elegant as this concept, but the aptera’s actually coming to market.

I thought the Mazda Furai looked pretty futuristic.

Oh, and the Furai is a drivable concept, not just a sketch.

5. BrerMatt says:

Does it come in black, and does the trunk have enough room to fit my cybernetic LED wings?

6. strider_mt2k says:

Brownlee appears in his writing to be suffering from “Blue Balls”, so I’d take anything he says with a grain of salt until he gets squared away somehow.

But how many cup holders?

8. pork musket says:

I agree with Brownlee… that’s hideous. Looks like a shoe that a ganguro or kogal girl would wear.

9. KurtMac says:

I’m split. While I certainly find it to be a very interesting and beautiful looking thing, I’m finding too many problems with its function as an automobile when I start dissecting it.

That’s one helluva blind-spot caused by the front pillars. The door mechanism, with the seat attached, is interesting, but how the hell are you suppose to get in and out? Walk backwards until you fall in the seat? Slide out forwards like a playground slide? Where does the side window retract to, if it even has one?

I guess I’m more of a function over form person.

10. muteboy says:

As the chaps on Jalopnik said, as soon as you hit a speed bump, you’d flip clean over.

It’s a concept, yes, but awkward looking and impractical.

11. Halloween Jack says:

What’s that big pointy thing draped over the front wheel? A cowcatcher?

12. kaiza says:

Looks good here, but the top view is way too busy. With a bit of tweaking the seats would be a lot like in RoboCop…

13. dustinmeyer says: