Casio channels Star Wars rust aesthetics with G8100-A-5

g8100a-5_xlarge.jpg

Casio’s new G8100A-5-oh-whatever G-Shock watch has the look of a dilapidated bot stolen by the bicycle thieves of the Star Wars universe, the stinking Jawas. It looks like the sort of Casio HK-47 might strap to his servo-controlled wrist before blasting open a meatbag. It even has the name of a droid! It really is the perfect Star Wars watch, in a way: the rust-mixed copper and low-tech LCD evoke the aesthetic of A New Hope, without sullying the design with actual branding. I love it. $99.

Casio G8100A-5 [Official Site]

This entry was posted in casio and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Casio channels Star Wars rust aesthetics with G8100-A-5

1. Jake0748 says:

What’s with the “Shock Resist” label? Would it have killed them to add the “ant”? How much money did they save leaving out the last three letters? Seems like I’ve noticed this on other watches too.

G-SHOCK!! SHOCK RESIST!!

2. robofunk says:

I like to think they left a comma out between “Shock” and “Resist”.

3. mitechka says:

Reminds me of a post in one of the russian tech blogs on Live Journal. “Plugged my wrist watch into a USB port. “Who do you want me to be”, the watch asked, “a flash stick, a web cam or a modem?”

post: http://arkanoid.livejournal.com/222240.html
    watch:

4. Halloween Jack says:

I still want one of those countdown watches that Roy Scheider wore in Blue Thunder.

5. devophill says:

Nice. If only I still wore a watch…

6. Enochrewt says:

Perception is a funny thing, Gizmodo dished on this watch for being a weaksauce steampunk product. I didn’t see it and think this watch has that retro sci-fi sexiness that I desire.