The history of technology as imprinted on old blue jeans

8-18-08-6600-impression.jpg

Aram Bartholl has decided to track the evolution of technology in society using a particularly ingenious stratigraphic record: the worn, faded marks left on denim blue jeans. It’s just a stated intent, right now: his entire gallery consist of a single picture of the mark of his ancient Nokia 6600, carried in the left pocket from 2005-2008. It’s a great idea, and I’d love to see more people contribute to this project… so if you’ve got some old tech-worn jeans, throw up a picture.

As for me, the crotches of the cheap jeans I deign to buy always fall out long before tech can make any real impact on their patina. Although I suspect the iPod Classic shaped callus on my left buttock would serve the same techno-paleontological purpose.

Nokia 6600, 2005-2008 [Datenform.de via Engadget]

This entry was posted in technology. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The history of technology as imprinted on old blue jeans

From 2003 to 2006 I wore a good square into my favourite jeans from my Palm Zire 71. I had to retire those pants about 6 months ago because the knee ripped open.

I never realized anyone else had this problem.

2. things says:

@#5 Knee busted open? Not time to retire, time to rock n roll!

oh man, thats the best part of jeans. never washing them and wearing them for like weeks in a row so they get worn in proper. shit, there was even a post on this site about denim freaks that like.. dont wash their jeans for like the first six months of ownership. im not that extreme, but i do like breaking in jeans as best i can so i usually wash em once every other week and wear them like 3-4 days a week for the first month or two till they start to show signs of my pocket contents and wallet. gravy.

4. Bloodboiler says:

Those marks can also be useful for human evolution. Ladies who note a cell-phone shaped wear pattern on jean, nexst to the jeans owners balls, can use it as one imput when estimatin the quality of the content of said balls.

5. markfrei says:

I guess a round Skoal can mark wouldn’t qualify?

6. DragonVPM says:

@#1:

I really don’t want to know why someone’s balls would in such close proximity to a cell phone while it’s in use.

Give a whole new meaning to phone sex I suppose :-p

7. airship says:

Dude, if the crotches of your jeans are wearing out more quickly than the other parts, you need to seriously assess your personal hygiene situation.