Commodore netbook doesn’t contain SID chip

img_6625-560x373.jpg

Brand necrophilia it is, but what gamer wouldn’t go weak at the knees over a Commodore laptop?

Mine shall be used solely for running old Amiga games, and listening to old chiptunes. At some point, the essential horror of emulating a Commodore, on an “IBM” with the Commodore name on it, will set in. Then there will be tears.

Source [NKRBeta via CrunchGear]

img_6618-560x373.jpg

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Commodore netbook doesn’t contain SID chip

1. jimkirk says:

For a more personal insider look at the demise of Commodore and the Amiga, check out Dave Haynie’s video “The Deathbed Vigil and other tales of digital angst”.

“The final days of Commodore Computer, from the prespective of many of the Engineers and Support Staff who made the Amiga what it became. Tour the offices in West Chester, join “the gang” at Matgarita’s for the Last Big Layoff, and finally, witness the “Deathbed Vigil” party itself, the day after Commodore filed for bankruptcy.”

2. Lionel says:

Is this being imported by Psystar in Florida?

3. Tommy says:

I’d really love an actual C64 mini-notebook. SpeedScript and a SID player is all I really need.

Oh, I do *love* the Commodore logo, though… sigh.

A scary thing happened to me recently: I was digging around in the Amiga emulator forums and such, and unearthed a subculture of people that still believe the Amiga is on the cusp of breaking out again, just “this close” to being the dominant computer.

It was like running across one of those flat earth web sites, or the “universe rotates around the earth” pages. Just put your hands up and back away slowly. Don’t make any sudden moves that could be misinterpreted as aggression.

5. RikF says:

Oh, I want that. I want it sooo much. I want it even more knowing that the idiots that were running Commodore back in its heyday are surely not seeing a cent from this!

Commodore was cool 20 years ago… I view the company using this name as creeps. I wouldn’t go near their products ever.

One good Book to read is “On the edge – the spectacular rise and fall of Commodore” by Brian Bagnall. This book tells the whole story from CBMs beginning to the very end.

A CD16 might not be too bad either..

But necrophilia it is. And I doubt the people in charge of current Commodore developments are willing to push forward and break headlines with another Commodore hardware revival that uses mainly Commodore-made chipsets..

I wish they’d learn I’d pay twice the price of the C64 when it came out if they gave me a portable one that ran the old C64 & C128 games and maybe, just maybe, had a few installed and managed to ‘cheat’ games into thinking the harddrive was the ,8,1 drive. >_>;

9. Not a Doktor says:

What happened to the commodore? Did it just go out of business?

10. Bloodboiler says:

Since they are at it, they should make a brown model for maximum sentimentality and replicate the button-stays-down-when-on functionality of Commodore 64/128 caps lock.

11. Sam says:

@#4 – JFGI.

Short form: Commodore went bankrupt and was liquidated in ’94.

Looks nice and stimulates the nostalgia gland, but apart from that… what’s the point?

Maybe if it came with a C64 and Amiga emulators built in. Almost certainly if it comes equipped with original C64 cartridge slot and controller ports. And if it had a 5 1/2 inch floppy drive… now that’s a computer!

13. OM says:

” I was digging around in the Amiga emulator forums and such, and unearthed a subculture of people that still believe the Amiga(*) is on the cusp of breaking out again, just “this close” to being the dominant computer.”

…So could Smallpox. The odds are about the same.

(*) These are the same g33kz who still think Fred Fish is Gawd, right? :-P