Gremlins 2 ‘film break’ sequence updated to DVR by fan

Joe Dante’s Gremlins 2 sequel is bizarrely maligned by people who don’t understand that it’s a two-hour long, live-action cartoon… the ultimate product generated when a director brought up on Warner Bros. cartoons is given a blank check to make any movie he wants.

One notorious part of the movie is the famous “film break” scene, in which Gremlins loose in the projection booth manage to disrupt the showing of Gremlins 2 with a string of shadow puppets (including Abraham Lincoln) and film strips about bikini babes (not including Abraham Lincoln). It was delightfully meta when the film was first released in 1990, but on DVD, it has always lost a bit of its charm on video.

No longer. Sascha Feiner, an obsessively-compulsed genius and self-proclaimed “biggest Gremlins fan in the world” has filmed a new, technologically-mordern “film break” scene in which the Gremlins take over a DVR and begin cycling through other movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Batman and The Exorcist… all of which now star them.

If that doesn’t impress you, the making of surely will. Feiner not only built, filmed and performed all of the Gremlin puppets by hand, but he did it for less than two thousand euros!

Dear Fandom: more this, less slash.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Gremlins 2 ‘film break’ sequence updated to DVR by fan

1. Puppethead says:

Incredibly awesome and wayyyyyyy too long. Beats the joke into the ground and way too serious.

2. DEEPEYES says:

Sheer brilliance on par with the underrated genius of the movie itself.

3. Carlos says:

Can’t believe how well done this is. Yes Puppethead, too long, but Geebus, man, cut Sascha some slack! When you’re this addicted to brilliant camp movies from the 80s, you can be expected to go overboard in the name of your addiction.

4. HatAndSuitcase says:

The VHS release of Gremlins 2 actually did have an update – the tape would glitch out, and the gremlin shadows appeared over a static background, then they changed channels until they came upon a John Wayne movie, who, if I recall correctly, shot the gremlins and carried on with the proper movie, instead of Hulk Hogan.

I remember being disappointed as a child at the absence of Hulk Hogan.

5. DragonVPM says:

@#4

Ah, thanks for answering that childhood riddle for me. I always remembered being vaguely annoyed at the change, but I hadn’t figured out what distinguished the versions.

That clip makes me want to go pick up a copy of the movie from the bargain DVD bin and watch it again :-)

6. John Brownlee says:

@8: What are you ON about? No one even MENTIONED women, you goober.

“Do not meddle in the affairs of Slashers for you are cute and would look good with another guy.”

8. siliconsunset says:

@AbsoluteDestiny: lolWHUT?

9. flufnut12 says:

I remember seeing this in Toronto. There was a problem with the projector during the coming attractions and they had to stop the movie for about 10 min while they fixed it. When the “break” happened we all thought not again.

10. Ryan Waddell says:

Ahhh Gremlins 2. The world needs more hilarious campy horroredy (comehor?) movies.

11. shutz says:

Is there somewhere I can download a DVD-quality version, so I can seamlessly splice it back into my Gremlins 2 DVD? That would be AWESOME!

@ #8:

What’s your problem? Where did anyone even mention genders at all?

As for john’s comment “more of this”, have you *seen* what fans normally create? This is a masterpiece by comparison!

13. Chris Schmidt says:

I’m pulling the HD(ish) flv off vimeo while I rip my Gremlins 2 DVD. Should have an updated DVD by tonight. :-)

14. themindfantastic says:

This was cool, I laughed out loud when seeing one of the green guys wearing a Gizmo mask during the Raiders of the Lost Ark Gremlins party.

15. AbsoluteDestiny says:

“Dear Fandom: more this, less slash.”

Male privilege: suppressing and belittling female thought and creativity since as far back as anyone can remember.

Seriously, fan creativity does not have to bow to your desires, nor exist merely to entertain you. If this particular type of free speech is not your thing then just leave it be.

(Props to the hard work and ingenuity of Sascha, of course. It’s nice to be able to express your fannish joy with such glowing, supportive validation.)

You do a disservice to women in conflating their thoughts and creativity to slashfic.

17. Chris Schmidt says:

@SHUTZ

Great minds and all that…

I was able to look at my “activity” in Safari to pull out and download the flv file (hosted on s3). I’m sure keepvid or one of those other services could do the same thing. I used Visualhub to convert the flv into something more usable.

This might work: