WSJ: Dell’s netbook launches tomorrow

dellminiinspiron.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that Dell’s Inspiron 910 Mini gets its PR baptism on Thursday, as Dell itself confirms it’ll be shipping them by the end of the week.

One person familiar with the matter said the new device will likely sell for less than $400. That price range would put the Dell device into competition with products such as the Eee PC from Asustek Computer Inc., which helped define a breed of systems that are sometimes called netbooks.

Dell’s managed to keep just a little mystery around the Minspiron, compared to the endless feast of information we get about rival subnotebooks. In a few days, however, we’ll get to see just how it manages to give us a 1.6 GHz Atom, 16GB flash hard drive, 9″ display and a gig of RAM so much cheaper than anyone else.

Dell to Offer ‘Netbook’ [WSJ via Electronista]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to WSJ: Dell’s netbook launches tomorrow

1. Drew Blood says:

Was this the one that was rumored to be coming in 3 versions, 1 with a camera and more RAM? The WSJ article didn’t really say anything new except hint a possible price hike from previous rumors.

2. Skwid says:

Anyone buying this netbook (or any other, really) should be advised to examine the keyboard closely. Specifically, they should note whether the ‘/” key is where it should be. Every picture I’ve seen of the Mini-inspirion keyboard equals an epic fail in this regard.

So sad.

The Boinger wrote “9” screen”, but that’s wrong. It will be significantly smaller than 9″. (Ain’t that always the way, girls?)

Here’s a picture that shows that the entire machine is only about as long as a pencil…perhaps 7″…and that’s the outside of the case, not the screen.

4. Rob Beschizza says:

You keyboard layout weenies should try the fujitsu u810 UMPC. Your heads will explode.

5. strider_mt2k says:

Just in time for me to have moved on to something else.

I appreciate the extra time I got to research the alternatives that have worked for me so well.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still be reading about this piece, but I’m not in line for one anymore.

6. Rob Beschizza says:

Yeah, it took its time, didn’t it? The only reason I’ve been waiting is price. If there’s no gotcha, I’ll probably get this one.

The gotcha I expect is that WiFi will be another $100, etc.

7. Enochrewt says:

#5: Holy smokes, that thing is tiny! The “/’ key is closer to the correct place than on the Dell and doesn’t require hitting function plus a button, so I’d actually prefer the Fujitsu. I’m actually surprised that correct key placement doesn’t come higher on your list, being a person that writes/types for a living. Or maybe I’m just infering too much.

8. flipdon says:

Sub $300 was what sold me originally. Sub $400 really kills it.

9. SeppTB says:

Skwid – The Dell Mini-Inspirion has the [? /] Key in the correct spot, next to the [> .] key, however, the [" '] key looks to be under the [> .] key, which would take a great deal to get used to. The [| \] seems to split and a third function on some other keys [- _ |] and [+ = \], and the { [ type brackets go thrown up on the number keys as third functions.

My decision at this point will be made based on the 910s price, and whether any other netbooks come in whore-red. I suspect not.