iPod Nano 4G confirmed with snazzy new interface and accelerometer functions

nanolineup.jpg

As predicted, Apple revealed the iPod Nano 4G today, and there’s not many surprises in the design here after the consistent leaks of the past weeks: rounded, curved and elongated… the old squat form of the old Nano flung into the bin after one generation.

Coming in a chromatismic panoply — Black, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red and violet — the new Nanos come in 8GB and 16GB varieties, at $149 and $199 respectively.

The most interesting development is the new UI, which is decidedly more Touch-like. The Nano also now has a built-in accelerometere. Want to enter Shuffle mode? Just shake the Nano. Want to enter Coverflow? Just flip the Nano horizontally. There’s new menu pop-ups: for example, on-the-go, browse album and browse artist. The new Genius mode (introduced in iTunes 8) of song recommendation is a pop-up.

Take a good look: this is the evolutionary link between old iPods and the future of uniform touchscreen iPods of 2010.

iPod Nano [Apple]

This entry was posted in apple and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to iPod Nano 4G confirmed with snazzy new interface and accelerometer functions

The comments between DTPhantom, wile_e_quixote are quite interesting I’d have to say. What a wonderful discussion. As for the product i am a zune fan i also appreciates apples innovation. both are Superior products,As my BF (an apple fanatic) and i have discussed. however, the side thing was an ORGINAL ZUNE innovation. It’s just a better idea. Oh and Sony has already done the shake to shuffle thing. there is no innovation here, just an old played out product, and a new paint job. They do have nice colors though…

2. DTPhantom says:

now look at these and tell me which other PMP it reminds you of. Hint it starts with a Z. I like how apple can copy the zune and get away with it but if microsoft did it they would be crucified. Oh Well

Calm down and breathe into a bag,man.
    That kind of frothing out the mouth attack turns people off,no matter who you are in favor of.BTW,I liked the old Nanos better,they were
    smaller,fit better,like Anonymous said,and were kinda cute,with their chubby look.From an engineering standpoint,they probably are stronger
    as well.I think Apple did try and match the Zune’s looks more,because people always equate bigger with better.

4. jbang says:

El Jobso claims that it’s smart enough to tell incidental between shaking, say, in a vehicle or your pocket. But… who knows?

I’ve been bathing in the reality distortion field for the past 12 hours.

5. Latente says:

The iEmo pod gray and black whoo ohhh!
    does it cut itself with the click wheel?

6. wile_e_quixote says:

It resembles the Zune how? Because it is longer than it is wide? Because it plays music?How exactly has Apple copied the Zune here? Did they make the new iPods suck really bad? Did they offer one in brown? Did they come up with a lame points system to purchase music for it? What is the reason for your idiocy? Are you an MS fanboy or just trying to be all contrarian and cool?

Back in the ’90s, after Windows 95 came out my friend Phil Torre made one of the most brilliant comments about Microsoft I ever heard. He said “I don’t mind that Microsoft steals from Apple, what I mind is that they do such a lousy job of it.” The Zune is a prime example of this. Microsoft looked at Apple’s implementation of a portable music player and then did the same thing, only really, really badly.

7. AirPillo says:

I can’t resist the temptation to wonder just how many times this is going to cause someone to muck with their settings by accident, though I’m sure nobody would be stupid enough to sell this without a means of disabling those features to prevent accidental activation.

Though then you’d have to go in and re-enable them again to use said features, which would really impede the point of having them since it would offset the convenience.

8. Itsumishi says:

Yep agreeing with Airpillo here.
    Like that stupid phone that skips to the next song with a quick shake.
    I run to public transport often, I don’t want to skip 6 songs or go into shuffle mode when this happens. The only way it could work for me was if there was a button you had to hold down to turn on the accelerometer. Which would you know, miss the point of not using a button.

9. Lucifer says:

Wasn’t one of the design issues of this shape nano (1st gen) that they often broke in the middle due to the long shape leading to stress points? I much prefer the small squarish nanos.

I have one of the 3G Nanos (the ‘phatty’ Nano). What I like about it is I can put it in my front pocket and actually sit down without worrying about performing any impromptu surgery on my boy parts.

Although I have to say that in many ways the 3G Nano would feel nicer and be easier to use if the wheel was *above* the screen.

11. musicalwoods says:

The point of the nano was that it was small and had a screen. This is larger than the last generation. Fail.

12. DTPhantom says:

@3
    It has the same form factor that the zune flash based ones use. ie the widescreen that you rotate I’m not bashing the ipods I’m just pointing out that apple copied the zune 4/8 form factor.

I find your bashing of the zunes rather amusing. I’m going to go out on a libp here and assume you’ve never used them huh? Please explain how it sucks, what is bad about the UI what is bad about the control scheme. Please educate me.

and no i’m not a MS fanboy, I just am not drawn to all things apple like so many people. it’s amusing to watch people like you react to people who aren’t brainwashed into the cult of apple.

13. bolamig says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they can tell the difference between an intentional shake and an accidental bump. An intentional shake will likely involve fairly uniform moves of at least an inch up and down with a rhythmic beat in a certain hertz range (probably between approx 2hz to 8hz). The acceleration will be bounded by what human arm musculature can produce. By contrast accidental bumps will be smaller magnitude (or rarely greater magnitude), either not rhythmic or the wrong hertz.