Large Hadron Collider fires its first proton beam, collisions to follow

lhc12.jpg

Congratulations to CERN and everyone who contributed to the Large Hadron Collider project, which shot off its first beam of protons today without causing immediate space/time to be slurped like a slushee into a local black hole. It’s a tremendous achievement — a project that should teach us more about the fundamental nature of our universe.

As someone who has a very hard time delineating between science and spirit, this is a little bit of a holy day. These sort of collaborations in discovery — an estimated 10,000 people from 60 countries worked for 15 years to build the five-billion dollar project — are exactly the sort of thing that makes me think that human beings are good for something positive. Or we’re just marking time until the robots can spoon feed us orgasm pudding until we die. But whatever! Cheers all around.

(Of course, there aren’t any actually beam collisions set for today, just test firings, so if existence winks out in a couple of days I feel like I should probably say that I love you all and that if we didn’t have a chance to have really fantastic sex with each other in this life you have my deepest apologies.)

First Beam For Large Hadron Collider [ScienceDaily.com]

Image: The Big Picture

This entry was posted in lhc. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Large Hadron Collider fires its first proton beam, collisions to follow

1. teckels says:

One of my favorite quotes from Pink Floyd:
    “go on, eat your meat,… go on, eat your meat. How can you have any pudding, if you don’t eat your meat?”

2. santellana says:

thank you for calling spiritone internet services technical support, my name is thomas, how may i help you?,… created a mini-black hole you say? swallowed up the smarter scientists and you don’t know what to do? and its getting bigger? have you tried turning it off and on again? lets try turning it off and on again. oh good that worked, thank you and have a nice day.

3. RedShirt77 says:

Nice knowin you.

4. Marley9 says:

As a person who has absolutely no problem delineating between reason and faith, I hope this is one of many steps toward abolishing that which divides us all…religion.

5. clueless in brooklyn says:

I don’t have any problem with death, as long as it is simultaneously inescapabable to all man.

6. pork musket says:

I started typing up a response to #2, but then I realized it was an obvious off-topic troll.

Hip, hip and huzzah for the LHC and science, and finding out more about our universe. Joel, have you read the book in this post? I have it sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to be less busy so I can finally read it. From the sound of the post (delicious orgasm pudding aside) it might be up your alley.

7. MarlboroTestMonkey7 says:

8. OM says:

…Overheard at the grocery store:

“Man, the world’s going to end when they turn on that Large Hard-On Collider!”

9. Joel Johnson says:

Pork, I haven’t read that yet, but just from David’s description I can tell that it’s more in line with (this week’s) personal meta-cosmology model than most. I should throw it on the pile.

I’m actually reading Anathem right now, which also seems appropriate. :)

10. TheMostHorrible says:

If we wink out of being in a couple of days I’m really going to regret not having a chance to try this orgasm pudding. Alas.

11. themindfantastic says:

I lurv the xkcd of today using the LHC being turned on as a pick up line… it gets nerdy girls in the sack!