Plastic Logic “Kindle killer” e-Reader seems too large for easy stowing

plasticlogickind1.jpg

Several details can be gleaned from TG Daily‘s video about the Plastic Logic e-Reader such as types of documents supported (most) and some technical details (mini-USB), but one thing struck me as I watched the booth attendant hold the device while being interviewed: for a so-called “Kindle killer” it’s awfully big. The Kindle’s screen could be bigger relative to the size of the entire device, but I don’t think I am interested in carrying around a sheet of e-Paper that’s the size of printer paper.

A closer look at Plastic Logic’s Kindle killer [TGDaily.com via Gizmodo]

PreviouslyPlastic Logic’s sleek, slim, touchscreen e-reader

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Plastic Logic “Kindle killer” e-Reader seems too large for easy stowing

1. ams says:

i just wanted to jump on the bandwagon for “yeah Joel, it’s NOT too big!”

Seriously – I actually hate the Kindle because it’s too small for me. Know what a really nice thing about ebooks is? Zooming. All this reading hurts my eyes… I can’t wait to zoom in until the type is so big that you can read it from five rows away on the train.

2. madsci says:

What’s the resolution on this thing? I’d really like to have something like this in the shop for IC data sheets, but it’s only going to be usable if the diagrams and fine print are readable. I’ve got some 300-page PDFs on my Windows Mobile phone that I can bring up in a pinch, but that’s just asking for a crash, and they’re hard to read – I only resort to that when I’m struck by sudden inspiration somewhere away from my computer and need to see if the idea is feasible with a given part.

The size is what makes this so great! When I was a student, I was constantly carrying around large A4 readers for various classes: photocopied books, papers, essays, printed pdfs etc. bound with flexifasteners (these things, for you Americans, who apparently don’t use them: http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bild:Heftstreifen_(Plastik).JPG&filetimestamp=20050318012805).

My fellow students and me always dreamt of a device like this, one that would allow us to transport, store, distribute and read the huge masses of texts we went though efficiently, in digital form. Would have been good for my back, my wallet, and would have saved a lot of paper.

4. themindfantastic says:

Im all for different readers of different sizes, Kindle and the Sony Reader are like a little larger than paperback sized, which is great for portability, but when you want something more professional and readable something larger is better. The more readers out there that prove to have a good following with steadily improving functionality the better. Not everyone can be served by capabilities of one sized/style of device. Im still looking forward to flexible display ‘paper’ devices, but I understand one has to learn to move ones limbs before one can crawl, let alone learn to balance on two legs for walking.

I’m another vote for a screen as big as full-sized letter or A4 paper, again because reading science papers (mostly two columns of smallish text) is horrible on the Kindle and barely useful on the OLPC and useful only on a really good desktop screen. (Footnotes. Graphs. Inline equations!)

If this is as good as paper, or even nearly as good, it would replace about three inches of paper I have out for any given project. If it can run the equivalents of BibDesk and Skim, I’m in love.

6. Category says:

To me, the size is half the appeal of the device – being able to view documents that were orignially A4 in size, in close to their original size.

It may be large, but I generally have my backpack with me, which is more than big enough to cope with it.

Now if there was a kindle-sized device that opened up to be show an (almost) A4-sized screen, I would be sold already!

7. bardfinn says:

I carry a messenger bag with me everywhere already. If it fits into a large purse, backpack, or messenger bag – I believe it will be fine, form-factor-wise.

They seriously need to be movie to the phone/computer interface unrolling thing from Earth Final Conflict. A really ideal form factor…

9. han says:

The resolution is apparently 150 pixels per inch, making it something like a 1200 by 1600 display. It should be fine for reading, but a zoom function will be needed to make out small print and details in pictures. As seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v226DYqlbHQ turning a page takes about half a second, which is not spectacular but tolerable. All in all, compared to current e-ink products, it’s a good step closer to the usability level of real books. Now let’s see if they can get it to market at a reasonable price.

10. dhuff says:

Harumph… All this grouching about the Plastic Logic device :P What it really means is that it’s big enough to display a decent amount of text and read w/o eyestrain ;)

11. Bugs says:

I get through a lot of A4 paper becuase I need to read loads of academic papers and hate reading from my computer screen. If it’s robust enough to carry in my satchel, it’s an appealing way to carry my work library around with me.

If I could get my newspaper on it too, it’d be great for origami-free commuting.

If there’s a quick file transfer utility, I can almost see this sitting on my desk and opening all my .pdfs on it.

12. kaiza says:

A5 size would make more sense. Portable, and by turning it on its side (landscape) it becomes the same width as an A4 page so all you have to do is scroll down.

Having said that, I carry around A3 sketchpads with me all day so I’d be happy with the A4 version too.

Amazon markets the Kindle as a casual reading device for consumers. They have talked about a future Kindle-like device for professional use. Apparently Plastic Logic beat them to it. On their web site PL is saying they are marketing this device to the professional user for business use (I hope they don’t forget students). Although they admit everyone who sees it asks about newspapers and magazines. There is a video that demonstrates its durability by striking it hard with a shoe heel. Since the screen is completely plasic, with no glass component (unlike the Kindle or Sony Reader) it is far more durable. I can see sticking this in a backpack or brief case without worry.

14. knifie_sp00nie says:

Not everybody is a road warrior. This thing will fit just fine on my coffee table or on the sink next to my toilet.

15. Ryan Waddell says:

Indeed, it’s still not all that big, really. I look forward to it hitting the market!

Count me in amongst the “not too big” crowd. I do wish the screen was larger, though; don’t change the footprint, just narrow those bezels down to slivers. Unless room is needed for buttons.

17. brianary says:

If only we had an entire industry devoted to supporting something sized 8.5″x11″!

18. proto says:

So, if I’m sitting with this thing on my lap, it’ll make my lap look less wide?

I’m for it!