In a beautiful mass of cogs and gears, a clock

solaris.jpg

When the apocalypse comes, mains electricity winks out after a few days. Water pressure subsides shortly thereafter. Fires consume city blocks within weeks; if it’s summer, they spread unchecked. Within a few months, a billion starve to death or die of once-harmless diseases. Worse is to come. Five years in, the batteries within Tokyo Flash’s incomprehensible binary wristwatches will also die. How shall we not be able to tell the time easily, unless we think about it for a while, when the zombies are in charge?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Clayton Boyer’s Solaris clock.

Solaris Wooden Clock [Clayton's website via Hacked Gadgets ]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to In a beautiful mass of cogs and gears, a clock

1. Enochrewt says:

At first I didn’t see the hands at all, they don’t really stand out from the rest of the clock. Maybe it’s just the picture.

Personally, if I need to tell time during the zombie apoclolypse, I’ll just push a stick into the ground and look at it from the south side. If there’s no shadow because it’s night, it’s zombie shootin’ time and that’s all I need to know.

2. Not a Doktor says:

Solaris was originally a russian story/film (that was even boring-er). After having to watch both for a film class I understood that russians really do love long drawn out stories (and I only thought it was just the 4 inch thick books)

@Jake: If you think the Clooney remake of Solaris is boring, you’ll definitely want to avoid the original… It starts with five minutes of literally watching the grass grow as a gentle spring rain waters the back yard, and doesn’t speed up any during the first hour (at which point I walked out of the theater).

4. O3 says:

Good lord, you Philistines. The original Solaris is a fine book by Stanislaw Lem (a Pole). The Russian movie by Tarkovsky I can understand not liking, and ditto for the (vastly more entertaining) Clooney vehicle, but please don’t scoff at the original none of you have ever come near reading.

Next up in remedial reading: A Picnic on the Side of the Road, remade into another interminable Tarkovsky movie, but a great piece of Soviet sci fi by the Strugacki brothers.

5. Jake0748 says:

Nifty clock and all. But, Ugh… Solaris.

I will never be able to see that word again without thinking of the most boring Sci Fi movie ever made. (I think George Clooney was in it).

Unfortunate name for a nice piece of work.

6. scissorfighter says:

Yeah, but the good thing about an apocalypse is that there’s no need to bother keeping time after that! It’s not like you have to worry about being late for work.