100 years of tea bags (give or take a few years)

peep_bag.jpg

Depending on how you slice it, this could be the 100th anniversary of the tea bag. (The Guardian suspects tea’d-up silken sachets might first have been dunked in 1904.)

I’ve found a small stash of green Earl Grey at our local Food Dimensions; sounds like a celebratory cup or two is in order.

What could obviate the tea bag? Alex Renton suspects it might be disposable tea sticks. My vote is for 2 Dog Farm’s invention, pictured above: the Peep Bag.

A century of the tea bag [Guardian.co.uk via Serious Eats]

This entry was posted in drinks. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to 100 years of tea bags (give or take a few years)

+1 JAHKNOW!

2. Scuba SM says:

Anon,

I’m a sucker for bitter, really. Some will claim that it masks all the other flavors in the tea, and it may, but I find taste extremely subjective. Everyone in my house adores strong flavors (oysters, coffee, etc etc etc). That extra little belt of bitter, plus all the other flavors, helps warm me up with a mug of hot tea, or underscores the coolness of a glass of iced tea. Plus, then it’s just fire and forget for the tea…. Water boils, drop the bag in, drink until there’s nothing left, rinse, repeat.

3. Tommy says:

What could obviate the tea bag? How about loose tea. Tea bags are an abomination.

4. jahknow says:

They may eliminate the tea bag, but they’ll probably never stop the practice of teabagging.

5. Downpressor says:

Nothing so far about teabagging your peeps? For shame!

6. retchdog says:

I knew someone who took a private tour of some tea factory in Indonesia. He claimed that the “tea dust” used in teabags, does actually include the floor sweepings left from producing loose-leaf.

Is it that hard, to just use loose leaf in a mug and sip carefully? It tastes better and is just as convenient. A few pieces of leaves slip through your teeth, but who cares? And for serving guests, you’d use a teapot of course.

7. Enochrewt says:

Peep teabags would be awesome. Maybe in more than one context even.

8. Scuba SM says:

I like using loose tea, but teabags have an often overlooked property that keep them in constant use in my house: They stick to the mug. I’m one of those heretics that likes to leave the tea in the mug as long as there’s liquid in it. When you’re drinking the last few drops of a mug of tea, often the wet teabag is stuck to the side of the mug. A tea ball, however, will roll down and hit you in the face (guess how I know that). Until they develop a reuseable tea container that has the same property, I will continue to rely heavily on teabags.

Loose leaf for life yo! Peace!

Seriously though, I don’t consider tea bags an abomination, I just prefer loose leaf for the superior control of flavor.
    If you don’t want dust or fannings in your tea bag, buy them from somewhere that isn’t India’s anus. Tazo for instance.

What I cannot understand though, is leaving tea in the cup, whether loose or bagged. I suppose I’m more sensitive to bitter tastes than most people, but when I accidently oversteep my tea, I throw it out and start over.

10. muteboy says:

Teabags are not an abomination, don’t be so snobbishly melodramatic. They are a perfectly acceptable convenience. PG Tips and Typhoo, mmm.

Can these tea sticks be composted? Didn’t think so.

11. Enochrewt says:

#4: I like to leave the tea in the cup as well. I use the tea infusors with a handle that gets held by my index finger while drinking. Nothing hits your face, and you have the bonus of a giant stir stick in your cup.