HTC’s Android G1 leaves out the 3.5mm headphone jack

Android’s built-in Amazon MP3 service, offering six million tracks dipped in acid and cleansed of DRM, is certainly a juicy plum, but listening to those tracks on the first HTC G1 on your cans isn’t going to be easy: there’s no standard 3.5mm jack. You’ll have to buy an adapter.

This isn’t much of a surprise. HTC’s Touch series also eschews the standard, opting instead for an ExtUSB connector that ties microphone, power and headphones into one. You won’t be totally out-in-the-cold: HTC will bundle the G1 with a built-in headset, probably of the usual crap bundled-in aural ergonomic design: a set to jaggedly tear at your penichrondiums and which must be thumb pressed down to the cochlea to prevent plopping out.

That’s disappointing and a bit puzzling: the G1 is going head-to-head with the iPhone, so you’d think they’d have learned from the iPhone’s mistake of a recessed 3.5mm jack. Instead, HTC’s topped it, forcing most people who want to listen to music on their phone to waggle around a doofy dongle. That may seem like a small nitpick, but for people who want a phone that is as much a music player as anything else, another peripheral to lug around is a big tick in the “con” column.

Confirmed: T-Mobile G1 has no 3.5mm headphone jack [Engadget]

This entry was posted in g1, headphones. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to HTC’s Android G1 leaves out the 3.5mm headphone jack

This does have bluetooth,check t-mobiles site,jeez you all are worse than grannies at the bingo hall….relax,this phone has real potental,I have to use a adpater to use my PX100′s on my iphone now,so no real issue there but it is a odd choice I admit.

And to the HTC TOUCH HD …I bet that will be $700+ as the android I just preordered was $179….hello..common sense calling…J/K

2. iRoy says:

Very few HTC phones use the mini-USB for headphones. Most have stereo handsfree sockets.

But more importantly can use stereo bluetooth headsets.

3. Anonyman says:

and I’m not sure why you are bringing up the Touch HD Anonyman,

Because I’m excited about it and it’s related.

it is NOT an Android device

Yet.

nor does it even have an announce date or price.

Wow, you’re quite a pessimist.

4. Downpressor says:

“dipped in acid and cleansed of DRM”

Brownlee, you still care about that stuff? What is this some kind of retro “get off my lawn” cool thing I didnt know about?

5. enealio says:

This is the same reason I’m dropping Sony Ericcson as my primary mobile. I love the Walkman series and still regard the W810 as one of the best phones ever. But after getting another Walkman branded phone and having to plug in that ridiculously huge headphone adapter, I’m done. Seriously, have you seen that thing? I have the W580 right now and that adapter is about 1/3 the size of the screen. And it’s on the side of the phone which makes putting it in your pocket nearly impossible. IF the X1 ever comes out I may consider that as I hear it has a 3.5 jack but I don’t know that I can wait. Hopefully ATT will expand their selection of iPhone clones. I was going to drop them for T-Mobile simply for the G1 but that is a deal breaker for me. I’m done with stupid adapters.

6. bayamus says:

actually the G1 DOES NOT have stereo bluetooth capability.

and I’m not sure why you are bringing up the Touch HD Anonyman, it is NOT an Android device nor does it even have an announce date or price.

7. Hel says:

HTC phones commonly use the 11pin, what is it-extended USB right, jack for headphones and charging and so on. The headphones HTC phones come with are typically quite functional, and if you’ve got a beloved headset or pair of headphones you simply must use, ebay has plenty of adapters of all sorts, not just the one linked here, including plenty that are just the 11pin plug on one end and a 3.55mm plug on the other end. These can easily be found by searching ebay for htc 3.5mm adapter and taking a second to look at the images in the results. There are even ones with a built in mic!

8. Enochrewt says:

It’s not that surprising. The Treos (HTC made) had a 2.5 headphone jack, but you still had to get their specific adapter for it to do anything more than mono sound.

9. Anonyman says:

This HTC has a 3.5mm headphone jack, a 5MP camera, video call capability, wifi, 450hrs standby time, and GPS navigation to top it all off.

The jury’s still out on whether they’ll include a Swiss Army Knife and a kitchen sink.