Asus adds 3.75G to latest Eee PC; What the hell is “3.75G”?

AsusTek has released yet another Asus Eee netbook, but this one has a cellular radio modem inside, not unlike the thousands of other laptops sold every day. But because their modem uses HSUPA, a slightly faster flavor of 3G than typical, the company has coined a wholly imaginary term on which to hang their marketing campaign.

With 3.75G, the Eee PC™ will be able to deliver on its promise of borderless one-day computing better than ever before. No longer bound to Internet hotspots, 3.75G-equipped Eee PC™ users will be able to enjoy low latency mobile broadband Internet access at high downlink and uplink speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps and 2 Mbps** respectively, regardless of where they are–ensuring a seamless connected experience on the go. The Eee PC’s™ 7.5-hour battery life*** provides more than ample power to keep it up and running during extended outdoor excursions.

I don’t know why it is irking me as much as it is, but I suppose I’m able to predict the onslaught of questions from friends and family when Asus’s lazy marketing blows back my way. “Should I get a computer with 3.75G or 3G, huh? I heard a rumor about 3.85G: should I wait?”

Update: Looks like Nokia is to blame for the original term, but it’s still crap. A quick run through Googles shows that nobody uses that term instead of HSUPA. Except Asus.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Asus adds 3.75G to latest Eee PC; What the hell is “3.75G”?

1. Broadband Girl says:

I have to say I have not come across that term before, talk about confusing. I can just see my mum going on about your last comment on 3.75 or 3.85G now that she’s looking into updating her home PC!

The 3rd Mobile operator in Egypt (etisalat) has used 3.75G for all its mobile 3G campaigns for well over a year – it’s funny, there was 3G, then 3,5G, then 3.75G, as if it was clocking a speed, and the ads actually used speedometers to convey this message!

3. OM says:

…Isn’t 3.75G that Wireless standard that Monster came up with, that promises faster wireless thruput if you use their cables to connect one PC to another?

4. Rob Beschizza says:

3.666666666666666666666e G

5. strider_mt2k says:

Shoulda just made it 3.11!

The band “311″ probably isn’t doing much, you can grab them for the ads.

Heh. I like Asus, but I wish they’d hire some decent writers. The people behind this “3.75G” business are probably the same people who came up with the company slogan “Rock solid. Heart touching.”.