Furutech’s $1,800 power cable

Piezo-Power-Flux-PS-950-18-B1.jpg

Furutech sells a $1.8k power cable. I used it to charge my iPhone and got the smoothest calculator performance I’ve ever experienced.

Extreme Performance Pure Transmission Power Cable product page [Furutech.com via Ubergizmo via Oh Gizmo!]

PreviouslyFurutech DFV-1 LP Vinyl Album Flattener

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Furutech’s $1,800 power cable

1. chef says:

I, for one, am appalled at the horrible signal characteristics of ordinary POWER CABLES. Thank you Furutech, for catering to my imaginary needs.

2. Downpressor says:

I read the CD/LP demagnetizer post first, then the furutech homepage then this. More fun that a barrel of idiots! I’m thinking when I get some free time of bringing a pile of my absolute crappiest Jamaican 45″s down to their office in Shinagawa and occupy some of their time with bizarre claims that their product did demagnetize the records but not the smoke particles which have clung to the records. I’ll bring a magnet wired up to a multimeter or some such to prove my claim. Either that or print their logo on a reel of zip cord and ask them to clean out the electron residue.

3. gwizah says:

The greatest sit ever:

“As all audio and visual fans know the more we use our CD/SACD/DVD/DVD-Audio disks, the more dust and fingerprints are left on the surface of the disks. Using disk cleaners, we wash and wipe them with cloths, but in doing so we inadvertently electro statically charge our media. Not to mention the resulting static charge from the simple action of removing them from their protective cases or covers. In the case of CDs 500~1,500V of frictional static electricity and ten times that for LPs, 3,000~20,000V.
    When disk media is played in the statically charged state, generally sounds are clouded, vowel sounds become thin and lower range sounds cannot be heard to their full potential.”

Wow…Just WOW.

I never knew removing a CD from it’s case could have such damaging effects. I need one of these now. Also, this seems much cheaper than the de-magnetizer!

4. Not a Doktor says:

well, at least it’s swanky.

5. Jake0748 says:

I’d like to use this cable to recharge the batteries in the mini guitar amp in the next post. I bet the sound quality would be greatly improved.

6. pickka says:

This is great for the last 6 foot. Now what about the first 300 miles from the power source. People who perchase this cable have more dollars than sense.

7. semiotix says:

Look, I don’t want to say that none of you know what you’re talking about, but the review and every single comment so far willfully ignore the only question that matters.

Is. It. Danceable?

8. Elvis Pelt says:

Hand-crafted by Santa’s elves!

9. snej says:

I see they’ve cleverly made the connectors on the two ends different, to ensure that you’ll only plug it in the right way round (matching the directionality of the crystal structure) for optimum power transmission. Nice!

I would recommend this power cord to people wanting to power electrical devices.

10. azurefog says:

Can anyone else find ANYWHERE that actually lists a price for these? The Furutech homepage does not list ANY prices (if you have to ask, you can’t afford it). A froogle search for furutech turns up some power cords in the $200 – $300 price range but nothing approaching $1800. I did notice that the manufacturers description lists it as 1.8m, but I can’t find anything that says $1.8K.

I admit anyone who pays more than about $10 for a power cable is obviously engaged in douchebaggery and will most likely be one of the first against the wall when the revolution comes, but where did the $1800 number come from?

That’s all my investigative journalism for the day….

11. HeavyD14 says:

Did you happen to notice their award winning power sockets? And the performance cover plates? You won’t get full performance without those accessories.

12. Halloween Jack says:

You just have to know that, eventually, some of that $700 billion in financial bailout money will go toward buying crap like this.

13. OM says:

…Hell, the performance is so high on this one that not only can you get 120hz on the AC frequency, the speed of electricity is accellerated to just above lightspeed!

Secret Info: Did you know that the LHC uses these cables? That’s right, they’re used to carry power to those Monster Audio cables that are wrapped around the full length of the LHC to create those magnetic fields that will one day destroy the earth!

14. w000t says:

@pickka: “what about the first 300 miles from the power source”

That’s why you need this. Those first 300 miles are where the power gets dirty, thus soiling the pipes inside your fancy equipment. This acts like a water filter, keeping your electronics tasting fresh. Of course, that’s also why you’ll have to buy a new cable once a year as the filter gets soiled.

15. loganbouchard says:

at 1800 this thing needs to have the ability to power absolutely anything, with any source.

power a computer from the wall
    power an ipod from the wall
    power the wall from an ipod and/or pet dog
    power me from my classmate
    power my attention span from my professor’s strange voice
    etc.

16. strider_mt2k says:

I’m concerned about electron leakage.

We have children in our home and don’t want electron leakage to be an issue, since we have children in our home.

Will these cables prevent electron leakage?

17. xdmag says:

Come on, people! I have a $1,600 cable that’s just as good. So what if it looks a little cheap?

18. zuzu says:

well, at least it’s swanky.

My thought exactly. I’d pay $5 instead of the regular $1 for an IEC cable that looks like this, if it were sold as such at Monoprice.

19. SaulTSack says:

Does it come with a bottle of ohm’s oil? I’d imagine you’d need some ohm’s oil for periodic maintenance. Without the proper lubricant, electrons won’t flow without overheating!

Hey, the first 300 miles don’t matter at all.
    It’s also important to have tube amplification somewhere in the signal path, preferably just before the speakers. Why should it matter what has been used to record or store the sound? There can, of course, be transistor amplifiers with lots of NFB etc. in the sound card or CD player IF YOU HAVE A TUBE AMPLIFIER WITH THIS POWER CABLE AFTER IT!

21. Mike Estee says:

@snej – and a good thing too! correct crystalline structure alignment is very important. if the current flows in the wrong direction, little eddy currents could introduce standing waves into the signal path.

what I find especially innovative is the use of carbon graphite for the Edison plug receptacle. this weight reduction significantly helps reduce drag, which is a frequent source of power slowdown.

22. Bevatron Repairman says:

Do they have custom electrons available? Designer 60hz sine-waves?

23. alowishus says:

Hmm. I use mine as a clothes line. Stands up to the weather pretty well, you know.

24. Gary61 says:

It makes the electricity very happy.
    The bank account? Not so much.