Business card web server

wsbcv3-450.jpg

Hacakday offers instructions on how to create the smallest web server you ever did see: it occupies the dimensions (except depth, of course!) of a business card! I can’t see myself handing these out at meetings any time soon, however. Not, at least, without creating a bomb scare.

how-to: web server on a business card part 1 and part 2 [Hackaday]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Business card web server

1. ScottyH says:

Can we get some benchmarks on that thing?

2. littlesoda says:

This is like the Suzaku series of products that caught my eye a couple years ago- an FPGA (with a PowerPC or soft processor), memory, and an Ethernet port on a tiny PCB. Comes with uC Linux.

3. Scuba SM says:

Instead of LED throwies, we could have server throwies! (With appropriate wireless access and hardware, of course.) I’m geeked.

4. Jake0748 says:

Those stick-outy prongy things might poke me in the marbles when I put it in my pocket. Ouch.

C’mon, people were making smaller web servers in 1999, running on single 8-pin SMT chips. Or earlier— some of the earliest tiny-web-server links seem to be broken.

6. zuzu says:

Ok, I really really want to add Bonjour / ZeroConf (running on embedded Linux) to a fancy-pants Bosch washer an dryer so that their away message is their current status (e.g. “intermittent spin”, otherwise printed on an LCD on the unit) and when the “laundry is ready” it IMs everyone on the local network using Bonjour IM to announce it.

This would be infinitely better than its piezo-electric buzzer.

So, what’s the best small server that runs Linux to do this? Which is to say, which platform has the most active community support of developers? Other than that, it just needs to have a serial port (to communicate with the washer/dryer) and an ethernet port (to communicate with the LAN).

p.s. Bosch, Miele, et. al. why the hell has it taken you so long to figure out to add this functionality to your “smart” clothes washers and driers?

“Not, at least, without creating a bomb scare.”

See what you did? The terrorists have won! No one should be afraid to be themselfves! I want to make a jacket with these all over it and wear it to the White House!

Its! Just! Who! I! Am!