Help Kym crack the obsolete DRM on her ebooks

BBG reader Kym paid legitimately for her e-books, but now the e-books don’t work because the DRM behind them is dead.

I refuse to buy another darn ebook until I have unfettered access to the thing and as an engineer I’m DYING to have a good solution so I can read digitally and carry my library with me, but until DRM is GONE or there is a good way around it, forget it. I don’t trust anything if it has DRM, at some point I’m going to be locked out of it and the hassle involved in getting it unlocked is too much. I’ve tried all sorts of tech support trying to get these existing ebooks to open and when microsoft’s reader updated a few years ago, it is a lost cause, I cannot get them open. It is beyond aggravating.

I’ve never used any e-book DRM and don’t know jack about it. What’s the insider advice on defeating dead systems?

The part that aggravates me is how content providers screw over those who actually give them money. Such behavior is an advertisment for piracy as the only way to be sure you’re getting a durable, quality product. Take, for example, Wal-Mart: rather than give the DRM keys to their customers now that it’s killing the entire system anyway, it instead issues self-serving advice like “burn your tracks to CD and then re-rip them.” This is expensive, time-consuming and likely to result in recompressing compressed data, which seriously reduces audio quality.

Kym, maybe tell us a bit more about your ebooks, in case someone out there has a direct fix for your particular cut of cloth.

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Help Kym crack the obsolete DRM on her ebooks

@ Grayz

There are DRM strippers available for both Mobipocket and eReader books.

They’re Python scripts developed by the Darkreverser.

Search for his Mobi DeDRM and eReadertohtml scripts.

Once you run them you can formatshift to your hearts content.

Also second checking out http://www.mobileread.com for any questions or queries about ebooks.

BBusyB

2. lordshipriot says:

I’m going to guess that the format is Microsft Reader, aka .lit

Check here for conversion software:

DRM is really an annoying thing.Luckily,we have many methods crack it.Here is a good tool:

4. Rob Beschizza says:

Cheers, Lord Shipriot

5. GrayZ says:

I buy all my ebooks in Microsoft reader format since the DRM is easily broken. AFAIK, Mobipocket and eReader don’t have a crack or workaround yet.

Google ConvertLit v1.8 (it’s short name is clit18, but googling that gives more interesting results.) It can be run from the command line, so a quick script can be set up to remove the DRM from all your ebooks.

6. Gemma says:

Oh wows!

Thanks for this guys. Secure MS Reader ebooks are the only DRM laden products I’ve ever bought, and every time I see stuff about how stupid DRM is I worry that one day I too will be locked out of my legally-purchased stuff. I’ve just downloaded Convertlit GUI version (gui made by a third party) and will give it a whirl. :)

7. Brian Carnell says:

I second what Grayz said. If you have to buy it with DRM, but it in MS Reader format since it is by far the easiest to crack.

I thot Skylarov spent a year in jail because he tattled that eBook encryption was essentially ROT-13? Eh, that was long ago, I guess.

You can buy his employer’s products (which I think include fair use protected eBook to text converters?) at elcomsoft.com.

–Charlie

9. OM says:

…Agreed. Pretty much any DRM out there has a crack or a workaround. What format is giving her the HCl enema?

I cracked ereader a while back. Used the debuffer debugger and set a breakpoint in the middle of the loop used to search the text. That way it walks through all of the characters in the document. I modified debuffer to output each character into a file. Couldn’t get the pictures out – but it does recover the source so you can rebuild the book in ebook studio with the original formatting.