Netflix adds a whole bunch of new movies through “Starz Play” streaming

starz_play.jpg

Netflix announced today the addition of the “Starz Play” library of movies to their streaming catalog. That’s great news for Netflix subscribers, who now can stream an additional 2,500 movies — including many just-released titles that Netflix was lacking — for no additional charge.

The Starz Play movies are available through Netflix.com as well as other streaming Netflix devices, like the Roku streamer (and presumably the Xbox 360 when Microsoft turns that service on).

Now where’s that Mac support, Netflix? Update: Netflix confirmed to BBG today that Mac support is still coming “this year”, but no more specific date is yet forthcoming.

Netflix to stream movies from Starz (including press release) [CrunchGear]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Netflix adds a whole bunch of new movies through “Starz Play” streaming

1. madzack says:

just gotta get that quality up to something respectable now.

2. TJ S says:

There’s nothing about this that I don’t love. I dropped Netflix last year (was BROKE), but I’ll start up again in early November just for the xbox360 streaming, especially with this trend.
    At least, I’m crossing my fingers that Starz joining up is a trend. Premium chanel competition what it is, HBO/Cinemax and Shotime can’t be far behind.

3. Clay says:

Oh, wow. But no extra charge?

I’m going to just assume this will eventually require an extra couple bucks per month like Blu-Ray is supposed to. I’m not complaining; as long as it’s not priced more than another disc per month, it would be more than worth it.

This is just supercooled. I’m going to have to pick up one of those Rokus now before they go out of stock.

4. gabrielm says:

Very cool.

I may be one of the only people that bought a Roku, but now I am very glad that I did.

5. teamshadowboat says:

this year = within the next three months?

i would be surprised, pleasantly

6. coldspell says:

Any news on when Netflix will start streaming HD movies? The Roku player is (supposedly) HD-ready.

7. Samizdata says:

Actually, GabrielM, you weren’t the only one. I purchased one very quickly after release, and I have been nothing but happy with it, especially as Roku has opened the firmware with the goal of providing other services.

I primarily use Netflix for streaming, so this news is especially pleasant.

8. Trevour says:

I’m totally getting the Roku box now.