Gears of War 2: Zune Edition

gowzune.jpg

You’ve got to hand it to Microsoft: not only has the Zune gotten consistently better since its initial release (it’s now a totally viable competitor to the iPod), but their cross-promotional Zunes are wonderfully designed. Following the steps of the Joy Division Zune comes a special Gears of War 2 edition, which contains a laser-etched Crimson Skull Omen on the back and preloaded with the game’s soundtrack, making-of-videos, concept art and game trailers.

It will be released on November 7th, but you can pre-order the Gears of War 2 Zune on Amazon for $279.99, if you’re so inclined. I don’t think I’d pull the trigger on this one even if I was in the market for a Zune, but the Gears of War 2 laser-etching would go great with a pair of Skull Candies.

Zune 120 GB MP3 Player: Gears of War 2 SE [Amazon]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Gears of War 2: Zune Edition

1. bex says:

.it’s now a totally viable competitor to the iPod..

not in the UK as its not sold here

2. midknyte says:

> …it’s now a totally viable competitor to the iPod…

Almost. WMP is still lacking in PodCast support.

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

3. pork musket says:

I’ve got an 80GB Zune and really I have no complaints. The software isn’t fantastic, but neither is iTunes in my opinion. The subscription service is nice and the DRM is pretty easy to get around.

4. 037 says:

#1: Yes, you are right about you are wrong. Zune does not use WMP. It has its own software that supports Podcasts and Audiobooks as well as its own store.

5. Agies says:

@1 The Zune software fully supports podcasts. If for some reason you want to stick with WMP you can use any podcatching software you want and have WMP monitor its download directory.

6. markfrei says:

When Zune added gapless I finally gave up on waiting for a TrekStor Vibez and got a Zune to replace my broken Rio.

It’s actually pretty cool, and each software update seems to have more great functionality…

I’m just bummed I didn’t get the Joy Division “Unknown Pleasures” etched model. It looked pretty sweet with those iconic Peter Saville waveforms on it’s back.

7. midknyte says:

I was not aware that the Zune did not use WMP. Thanks. “Made me look!”

Does the Zune Store/Software support non-Zune, plain mp3 players? Are all the songs at the Zune store mp3′s, or just a portion?

8. Infinite Decay says:

@6 midknyte:
    The Zune Marketplace sells some songs as mp3s and some only as wma files. The software supports syncing only with Zunes, but if you have a plain mp3 player, you can use whatever other software you like to copy the mp3s over to your player. (But not the wma files, since those only play on Zunes.)

9. Chrs says:

Hey look, they’re finally getting it right!

Kind of.

The goal is to get ahead of the other party, or at least at the same level. And having a legitimate competitor to an iPod is probably not worth it compared to a good competitor to the iPhone, if Apple bet correctly that single- or otherwise limited-function media players are going out.