Kindle 2 Leaked

normal_Kindle2_11.jpg

Amazon’s follow-up to the Kindle rounds the corners and smooths the keyboard, dropping the “crushed origami hat” look of the original for something that looks (sort of) like it came out of Cupertino.

normal_Kindle2_111.jpg

The spy shots were sent to Boy Genius Report, which says that the refinements, which include USB charging, come at a price: the battery no longer appears to be user-accessible, and it’s lost the SD card slot and fancy leather carrying case. The hallmark features of Amazon’s e-book reader, however – EVDO internet and lots of memory, remain.

It’s markedly uglier than Sony’s reader, and more of a blandification than an improvement over the original. When it comes to looks, Amazon is somewhat clueless. It first opted for a love-it or hate-it geometric sculpture. Now it’s plumped for the “fake Chinese iPod knockoff” look.

With its excellent store and cellular hookup, though, I’ll wager that it will maintain a sharp edge over Sony’s machine for those who aren’t fastidiously baking their own text files.

Amazon Kindle 2 e-books its way to BGR [BGR]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in amazon and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Kindle 2 Leaked

1. jbang says:

Totally baffled by this design. Mortified, even. It’s like they didn’t even think to emulate Apple – and went straight for the 3G iPod rip-off rip-off.

Somewhere, I hope a Chinese bootlegger is talking to their lawyer about this.

2. RikF says:

It is the ability to annotate with the new Sony touch screen that has me hooked. PDFs of papers I’m reading, that I can take anywhere and annotate, will sell it to me – at least as soon as I can scrape together the money for one.

3. FutureNerd says:

With all that room for the keyboard, they can’t stagger the rows like with real QWERTY?

4. Joel Johnson says:

Amazing. They make the screen look even smaller. I wish these companies would start calling me when they need to redesign their products. Don’t they know I know exactly what I want?

Seriously, though, it looks cleaner, but still cheap. Why did they have to keep the keyboard on the front at all?

They make the device itself bigger, making the screen seem smaller. Is this an improvement?

Someone needs to report some improvement in specifications, because the ergonomic redesign is not particularly an improvement.

Meanwhile, Sony is talking about improved technical specs on their new e-reader, it is just that no one listens to them because they price gouge, and try to control the media market in totally wrong ways. If I was on the board of Sony, I would spin off the hardware and Media arms completely, and give the media arm a different name, and allow Sony to make good flexible open gear at a good price.

The Kindle…. wheres the improvement?

It’s worth noting that these “leaked” images are of Roswell conspiracy quality, and that the new device is large enough to be a paper mache housing for the original kindle. I personally hope these images are fakes, given how ugly the thing looks.

At any rate, the close ups are all grainy, and I think it’s rather unlikely the Amazon design team would take a 180 from their angular design to this overly rounded monstrosity. I hope for their sake this is just a shoop job. I guess time will tell.

7. Scanlan says:

I still don’t see myself every purchasing one of these monstrosities.

8. musicalwoods says:

Boy, they can’t stop with the ugly can they?

They need to hire a better designer… -_-

9. hohum says:

Yeah, it’s still not pretty, but I think I’d rather carry this one around. No SD slot will be kind of a downer, but not that big. The new design looks even more unnecessarily massive next to the old though, and I bet the keyboard is harder to type on. A little touchscreen action would’ve been nice, too.. Still, I think I might finally break down and get one…

10. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

My big problem with these things is that you can’t read in the bathtub, or in the pool, or by the sea. These are my favorite places to read. If I get a paperback wet, oh well! With this thing you destroy the whole system.

Plus, I want the screen to take up the whole thing.

This is just someone looking for a way to bring visitors to their blog to generate ad revenue. Don’t worry the next Kindle will impress I have faith.

Looks fake to me.

13. themindfantastic says:

There is a good chance Ill be treating myself to a Sony Reader for the holidays, in part because Kindles aren’t available here in Canada (yet) not directly at least. But its also because I do brew my own files. A lack of an SD slot can be gotten around with the usb connection/charging thing, but I think the more methods to get stuff onto a device the better. Im glad there are more readers out on the market, but with Amazon still holding off the Canadian market for kindles, I really don’t have that much of a choice yet.

14. scaught says:

Same size screen, device another inch bigger it looks like? Ya. While the first one was ugly as sin, this one is just boring.