Peri Peri keychain emulates envelope tear-off strips

periperi.jpg

After creating the “Puti Puti”, a keychain that recreated the first-world joy of popping bubble wrap, Bandai has followed up with the “Peri Peri”, a keychain that gives you the ecstatic frisson of tearing open a shipping envelope sans any real pleasure from finding something inside. It’ll cost the Japanese, to whom it will be exclusively marketed, about $10. (Mostly I’m linking this because I love the art. And because it’s awesome that there’s a whole blog dedicated to Japanese cell phone straps.)

Bandai New Peri Peri Toy Keychain/Phone Strap Chain [Strapya-World.com via New Launches via Oh Gizmo!]

This entry was posted in japan and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Peri Peri keychain emulates envelope tear-off strips

1. tresser says:

i saw the video on the site and was disappointed that i didn’t to hear the toy.

2. TJ S says:

Off topic, but the Power On Self-Test seems to have broken the formatting of everything below it…at least in Firefox 3, I’m seeing all text from there down as being tiny (guessing 6pt font)

3. w000t says:

I’ve actually gotten a couple of the Strapya Fukubukuros the last couple of years. They generally have a pretty good selection of stuff and are a great way to get lots of little gifts all at once. I get a couple of cool toys/straps and stockings all around town get stuffed with amusing little gifts.

4. Chris L says:

@7 Personally, I think I’m more comfortable lumping this in with perversions and fetishes rather than postindustrial existentialism

5. Clay says:

I cannot look at this without concluding that this is indeed a profound insight into Japanese culture.

It is an ode to a Moment, a fleeting, simple joy, the mono no aware of postindustrial life.

That the cartoon characters are weeping tears of joy upon performing this act is no happenstance. The tears they shed are for the bittersweet beauty of the ephemeral world, lost in a bliss that coalesces as quickly and mysteriously as it dissipates.

6. pork musket says:

For some reason I think I’d pay $10 for one of these. I think the amazing art is weakening my resolve.

7. pork musket says:

After exploring the strapya-world link a bit more, I’m 100% sure I’d buy one of these.

Built-in speaker provides various sound effects, such as roulette mode, cat mode, bingo mode and so on. Let’s catch something funny noise!! Let’s begin Periperi now!

Cat mode? I’m ready to begin Periperi.