Wozniak says iPod won’t live forever

grave.jpg

Woz, interviewed by London’s Telegraph newspaper, has a just shocking prediction for the iPod: like every other item of consumer technology ever developed and sold, it will one day be an obsolete reflection of the time that produced it!

“The iPod has sort of lived a long life at number one,” he says. “Things like, that if you look back to transistor radios and Walkmans, they kind of die out after a while.
“It’s kind of like everyone has got one or two or three. You get to a point when they are on display everywhere, they get real cheap and they are not selling as much.”

Much more interesting is the dish on the good old days:

“Steve [Jobs] was into everything hippy, he ran around shouting ‘free love man’ and eating seeds” as he embraced the flower power set. While “the second Steve”, as Mr Wozniak became known, was still unable to overcome his nerves. … “I thought I owed it to HP to stay. But Steve [Jobs] got at all my family and they convinced me I had to do it”.

Steve Wozniak interview: iconic co-founder on the iPod, iPhone, and future for Apple [Telegraph]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Wozniak says iPod won’t live forever

1. Marcel says:

As a sidenote, has the creator of the Photoshopped photo above ever considered having this idea of a digital epitaph patented?
    You know, think about it, cover the tombstone with solarpanels, and have a monitor in the headstone displaying all the information on the deceased.

That’s Britain’s Telegraph, not London’s – you know Britain, that bit outside London where the other 52m people in the UK live?

3. zax says:

Seems like a pretty pointless and obvious observtion really. Ideas get superseded by better ideas. Surely thats part of the point of our existence otherwise we’d all be sitting in caves still.

I’d rather deify an experience over the technology that brings it about. I want to hear the music that I like, as and when I want it, whilst still being autonomous. The iPod touch is almost painfully simple to use (and enjoyably, abuse), allows easy and tactile interaction with information and importantly plays music straight into my ears. Which as a constant reality adjuster really improves my continued and continually enjoyed life.

When I can hear the music I want to hear, when I want to hear it, just by thinking a word or command; when I can adjust the volume to background or foreground and share that song with an accepting somebody else nearby; when I can summon information about anything directly into my mind just by thinking about it; when this is woven into the fabric of life as surely as eating and drinking, only then will I be truly happy. Until then, I’ll settle for the iPod Touch and future steps on the path down the road to information/experience nirvana.

Garr, actually the original iPod was $399 for 5gb and $499 for 10gb, the current iPod Classic is $249 (for 120gb – one size only) so it’s gotten better and cheaper.

Hell, the iPod Touch starts at $229 so even their latest-greatest iPod is much cheaper than the original was at launch.

Marcel, it’s been done!!

5. Marcel says:

DCulberson: Oh well, I guess now all we need is a pink feather boa and we’re in business.

6. PlushieSchwartz says:

WOZ! Emperor of Stating the Obvious, and Getter-of-the-poo-coated-portion-of-stick*, woe is thee.

For it is clear that you speake only in nerd and much of what you speake is ye olde baloney.

*see I mean”Had to date then dumped by Kathy Griffin _on tv_”, not, “Could have invented something way cooler than the iPod if I was prex of Apple mumble mumble sour grapes”

7. johninsapporo says:

The iPod is still evolving. The iPod Touch (of which I’m a proud possessor) and the iPhone are both extensions of the iPod.

I once had a Newton. It was wonderful. There are things about the OS I still miss. It was very well thought out. But the nearest thing anyone has produced is the iPod Touch. Very, very nice.

Methinks the iPod has a long way to go yet.

Yours sincerely,

John Davis

@1 Mykie:

I’m afraid you have missed the point, and at the same time missed the boat.

“Now that other player makers are FINALLY bringing their A-Game to the table, and making great players. It’ll only be a matter of time before someone else makes the next iPod that totally dethrones Apple.”

What Woz is getting at is that the standalone MP3 player as a concept is obsolete. The other player makers are way too late to the game. New integrated products like the iPhone, the new Blackberry, Sprint’s Instinct, and other multi devices, coupled with the eventual demise of MP3 as a format, mean that this whole product concept’s days are numbered.

For example, it doesn’t matter who made better, cheaper, portable cassette players, the Walkman’s days are still over. Does anyone use anything like that anymore? Or a portable CD player? Or a transistor radio?

9. mykie says:

I’m inclined to agree, and am shocked the iPod has lasted this long at number 1.

Whether it’s Sandisk, Microsoft, Samsung, Cowon, Creative, Sony, or someone else…

10. awood says:

Once we see an decent alternative to iTunes then iPods will loose a lot of their appeal.
    Then again look at something like Nintendo, we may not play NES anymore but we still play Nintendo gaming systems.

11. kaiza says:

Of course it won’t last. My iSatellite network will be beaming streamed music directly into your head from geosynchronous orbit, while slowly simmering your brain til parboiled. And then I WILL RULE THE WORLD.

12. Garr says:

I generally agree (and it’s a testament to the pure Hype around the iPod that anyone should think otherwise, to a degree that it would elicit a comment from one of the big guys in the industry).

But he did get something wrong there:

Dude, we’re talking Apples here. This is probably the first product to cost as much at the end of its lifespan as it did at the beginning!