The SureFlap protects your house from unauthorized kittens

sureflap.jpg

The SureFlap is a great idea: a robotic cat door that only allows the appropriate RFID-implanted kitty into your house, as opposed to any toxoplasmosis infected plague cat that decides to bust on in and start a-spraying. No price listed, but it’s not likely to be cheap, especially with the optional laser defense mechanism.

SureFlap [Official Site via DVICE]

This entry was posted in cats, Pets and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The SureFlap protects your house from unauthorized kittens

1. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

2. Jerril says:

#11: To bad those RFID tags have been shown to cause cancer in animals implanted with them…

[citation needed]

3. sammich says:

mgfarrelly @ 10 – OMG

4. sammich says:

…and secret life of plants @ 11 – OMG!!!

kudos to anyone who can point out a similar door for large dogs.

Better yet, any nerds know how to make something similar? I’m handy with a soldering iron and basic written instructions and I wouldn’t mind hacking up some electronics and a door to make this work.

Cheers.

6. sammich says:

But seriously – I need to buy one of these for my sister – why is there no price… ?

7. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

Here’s one:

I know that if I post too many links then boingboing thinks I am spamming, but here are the Googled results for cancer RFID animals…

8. Lea Hernandez says:

This might be the thing to get my ex over his pathological fear that Tom Thumb might burgle our house by entering via the cat flap.
    That, and the “fry miniature burglar” setting on the optional laser.

9. BalmyBrute says:

My friend had a cat door similar to this. His cat would stand near the door to let other cats in.

10. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

PS for #12 posted by Jerril…

here’s this too:

Isn’t this a bit late? A company called Pet Porte already invented it two years ago!

Patent number: 2 381 180.

12. cromulent says:

And it supports up to 32 cats at a time, for all your crazy cat lady needs!

13. john says:

I had one of these, but with a magnet on the cats collar. Worked great until the cat disappeared one august…

Not so sure I want to RFID a cat though, not like there aren’t spares anywhere you wanted to get one. Yeah I know, I’m heartless.

14. strider_mt2k says:

My whole family has always attracted unauthorized cats.
    They usually become authorized fairly quickly after that. :)

15. mdh says:

You could just RFID the collar, you know, the collar with the bell that all good cat owners put on their cats to protect the songbirds.

16. RedShirt77 says:

This has to win funniest post of the month.

Now they just need to program a roomba to take the dog for a walk around the block every three hours or so and having pets will be completely effortless.

17. technogeek says:

Reminds me of the guy who was building a cat flap with camera and pattern-recognition to not admit the cat when it was carrying prey…

As others have said, this is an update of the old magnetic version.

What my friend needs is cat doors designed for _indoor_ use. Too many are transparent these days, which doesn’t give quite enough sense of privacy.

18. OM says:

I AM OPENING UR SESAME

19. mgfarrelly says:

John, if you have not learned it by now, you never will until it is far, far too late.

Nothing can protect you from Unauthorized Kittens.

NOTHING.

20. DeWynken says:

hmm..can it be hooked to 30 amp 220v?
    UNAUTHORIZED FELINE DETECTED….ENERGIZING FIELD…

Yes this company has been selling the original version for over a year now: http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/

22. semiotix says:

And it supports up to 32 cats at a time, for all your crazy cat lady needs!

What, they could only spare 5 bits? No, obviously this is crippleware. You watch, the $50 “Service Upgrade Pack” they’ll release in a few months will allow 65,536 cats, which is roughly where this starts being useful for the prosumer crowd.

Technogeek, the best part of that project was the name. Since the cat’s name was Flo, they called the project Flo Control.

24. Newbornstranger says:

rfid tags are standard issue for cats, these days – at least the Toronto Humane Society injects a tag in almost every animal that comes through their doors. It’s much more reliable than an address tag on a collar. Doors like this would just be a bonus.