Look at me still talking when there’s recycling to do: Ovetto Recycling Eggs

5202.jpg

The Ovetto Recycling Egg is an expensive, dual-slot trash can that, for $250, allows for the separation of plastic and aluminum in one receptacle… a goal which can just as easily be accomplished for the price of a couple $5 trash buckets. But you aren’t paying for the function, you’re paying for the design, and who amongst us does not want to turn our kitchen into the microcosmic eating lounge of Aperture Science, with helpful (albeit homicidal) recycling eggs (oviposited by glorious GLaDOS herself) pristinely hovering about, electronically warbling invitations to deposit our spare cans, or perhaps just our spleens, in their plastic, opalescent bellies?

Ovetto Recycling Egg [Where Did You Buy That via Gizmodo]

This entry was posted in recycling. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Look at me still talking when there’s recycling to do: Ovetto Recycling Eggs

1. DefMech says:

Bummer that so many people still have to separate their recyclables. I don’t exactly live in a mecca for progressive environmentalism (Louisiana), but we just throw all recyclables in one curbside bin and everything gets sorted at the recycling center.

For the actual product, I don’t find it particularly interesting in design and barely noteworthy in function. It looks like all of the other thousands of undergrad industrial design prototype renders (infinite white background, bad materials, low-quality GI settings…) that get posted on gadget/design blogs that will never see the light of day. I was surprised to see that it was actually a real product for sale.

2. Sparrowhawk says:

Next up… I want a toilet that talks like the one in Portal.

3. Takuan says:

if you lean over the top, does something leap out and grab your face?

4. Scuba SM says:

I can just see someone rigging up a little switch to each of the flaps, and having the thing play sentry sound clips whenever you put something in it…

5. SamF says:

Please post pics once someone mods one of these with the legs and gun, with a laser-pointer motion sensor to trigger a “There you aaaree” sample.

Bonus points if it actually shoots. Even if it’s just pellets or paintballs or something.

6. insomma says:

Or it could sound like Beaker.

7. ECC says:

The form of Eve,
    The functionality of Wall-E.

EVE!

9. BWChicago says:

Eeeeeeeevva?

10. CammoBlammo says:

I thought it looked a bit like EVE too. Then I realised it was a rubbish bin.

So it turns out the EVE and WALL-E do have children after all…!

11. Ethan says:

OTOH, it’s not that more more expensive than the typical stainless steel kitchen garbage can which run $150-200.

12. clueless in brooklyn says:

This is the poster child of design without innovation.

Maybe if we make things futuristic looking, it will appear that we haven’t slowed down our progress in new technologies.

All I saying is that for $250 this thing should actually recycle.

13. dove says:

Eeeeeve!

14. DeWynken says:

I’d buy it if it’d teleport the non-recyclable garbage directly to McCain’s wife’s lawn.

15. cha0tic says:

I better it’s a bugger to clean as well.

..there are 3 compartments of 17 litres each and a plastic bottle/can crusher at the top.
    It`s a child friendly item that was created to encourage and educate on recycling.
    It`s made from recycled material and the assembly is done by social workers in collaboration with Legambiente, an environmental association. Made in Italy.
    Sorry guys it`s expensive for USA..here in Europe a stainless steel/ugly bulky versions are much more expensive!!

17. Belac says:

Came here to post that it looks like Eve.

My work here is done.

Also, Cammoblammo does it one better–this really is their kid.

18. PaulR says:

Well, using a pair of $5 bins is what we should be doing. 15 to 17 litres capacity total? 8 litres per side?

Think about it, roughly two and half times the capacity of a jug of windshield washer fluid, per side. Plus the plastic bags to line ‘em. Gah!

I wonder how much packaging is required just to get this thing to the store. And how much cleaner you have to use each day just to keep it looking clean.

It’s like the tag line for Mental Floss magazine: For People who Feel Smart. This is for people who like to feel like they’re helping. They’re not helping, but they feel like they are.

Isn’t this the kind of consumerism we should stop doing?

19. soupisgoodfood says:

If the US Air Force need to put recycling bins on top of their aircraft, this is what they’d look like.

20. MoFro says:

Directive??

This is a great device. However, you all are more well off than me if you can afford to spend $150-200 dollars on a contraption you put your garbage in. Let me know when the $20 version comes out.

PS I really wish I could afford this.