Plush R2-D2 backpack is the droid you’re looking for

plushartoo.jpg

This is awesome entirely because they didn’t try to make it look anything like a backpack at all.

It’s $65, plus shipping.

R2-D2 backpack catalog page [FredFlare.com] (Thanks, Kleer001!)

PreviouslyThe ultimate LEGO Star Wars diorama
Star Wars Shaggin’ Wagon for Sale on eBay
Sexy Star Wars stormtrooper boots
Official LEGO Star Wars AT-AT Walker
The Star Wars musical floppy
Star Wars Toys That Were Not to Be
Video: The making of original Star Wars’ computer graphics
Drivable X-34 Landspeeder replica by Star Wars modder Daniel Deutsch

Update: John also wrote this up but I beat him to the punch because I barely wrote anything.

Ever since I dumped my first girlfriend during a preschool Star Wars play session by telling her that she was no longer pretty enough to be Princess Leia and must now be Chewbacca, I have felt an affinity for Luke Skywalker, and this affinity only grows as I stand upon the threshold of my 30s.

Like Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back, I am a mop headed blond with a shrill castrati’s voice and a once attractive face mangled by incompetent reconstructive surgery. Like Luke, I have strange psychic powers: under my penetrative stare, I have caused watch pots to boil, to name only one of my great works. Like Luke, I have made out with my own sister; like him, I am advised by a tiny green creature with strange, backwards speech patterns who clings to my back and exhorts me to kill my own father. It all fits.

One thing is missing, though: my own R2 unit. This R2-D2 backpack isn’t a functional astromech droid, of course, but it does look as though it would store a mini-keg beneath its padded dome. I can’t actually recall if Luke ever strapped R2D2 to his back, but I wouldn’t be surprised: as far as I’m concerned, only Episodes IV – VI are canon, and all that Phantom Menace crap about R2 being able to fly is just guff. I’m sure Luke had to piggyback poor R2 from time to time: that droid was not meant for traversing Dagobah.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Plush R2-D2 backpack is the droid you’re looking for

1. Itsumishi says:

Yes he flew at some point within Episodes I-III (who cares which one, they were all garbage and a disgrace to the franchise).

No he never flew in episodes IV-VI.

This was John’s point.

2. O_P says:

Didn’t R2 fly in Return of the Jedi while they were on the sail barge escaping the Sarlacc pit, or do I just have false memory syndrome like that time I swear I saw Wedge Antilles.

3. HeatherB says:

@#3 Yes, he did fly.

As for the backpack, it’s cool but totally over priced. Fuck that.

4. Baldhead says:

but he did not fly in Jedi. And the c- 3po pack would in fact be better.

A busted up C-3P0 backpack like Chewbacca’s extra load from Empire would be awesome.

6. MooseDesign says:

@#7 I believe it has a plush skeleton of the little person who controlled R2.

@ many others: me too. where is the C3PO/Chewie black netting backpack?

7. HeatherB says:

@#5 while the first three films were terrible (not the originally trilogy) R2 did fly in Episode 3.

8. Wolfki says:

What’s the inside look like?!

9. HeatherB says:

He flew in Episode 2

10. John Brownlee says:

When did R2 fly? He pushed C3PO off the sail barge and they just plopped into the sand. There was no flying involved, unless you mean “following” and I’m willing to believe R2 can fall.

11. Isaac Cates says:

Dude, Anonymous, I was just going to say that.