Blender Defender terrifies cats that dare approach the kitchen counter

This gentlemen maintains a video collection of his cat’s attempts to leap onto his kitchen counters. As he has devised an apparatus that effectively dissuades the cat from doing so, all of them have the same ending.

The Blender Defender [Plamsa 2002 via
Make]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in cats and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Blender Defender terrifies cats that dare approach the kitchen counter

1. Frank_in_Virginia says:

This guy better hope he doesn’t have a stoke. His cat will eat him.

2. lautaylo says:

This is hilarious. I love the whole system, and the fact that it is so streamlined. Detect motion->turn on blender->get cat pics in video form via phone->profit!
    Also, though I have known other cats that get up on the counter, mine does not. Never has. The dining room table is another matter, but this system would probably be more obtrusive in that location. On the other hand, it would probably keep the table from getting cluttered!

3. tobergill says:

Er….the cat isn’t being dissuaded from jumping on the counters – just from staying on them. It seems remarkably resistant to training.

4. Frank_in_Virginia says:

Soon enough the cat will like the sound and jump up there just to hear it.

My cats rarely get on the counters, a simple “get down” in a normal voice is all it takes for them to jump back down.

5. scaught says:

I like how it looks like he is blending ELECTRICITY. Eat that, Tesla.

6. cha0tic says:

That’s why I’m not a big fan of cats. They get on your kitchen work surfaces.

jesus f*ck! is it really that important?!

8. xzzy says:

The comments on that page are almost as entertaining as the cat.

9. dccarles says:

My cat jumps on the counter all the time. Actually, he’s getting old, and has to be helped up. The reason we let him up on the counter is because that is where his food is. (If it were on the floor, our border collie would hoover it instantly.)

…Nevertheless, I’m considering making/getting one of these, just because of the hilarity that would ensue.

I think I could watch that clip for an hour. There’s some little detail to catch every time and keep me red-faced suppressing laughter over and over again.

11. ChesterKatz says:

@Takuan

According to the site, the cat jumps up there in order to munch on the plants.

12. Takuan says:

has he tried putting a bowl of water on the floor?

Tak, my kitty gets a fresh bowl of water every morning, but she’ll still jump on the bathroom sink in the morning when she wants some fresh water. I think it’s cute.

I don’t let her on the kitchen counter, and she’s taken the training exceptionally well: she won’t get up there .. when I’m around.

14. Takuan says:

has he tried putting some cat grass on the floor?