Perambulating spider bot keeps plants alive

plantbotcrawls.gif

I am incapable of keeping a house plant alive. My house is filled with the mummified fronds of plants as dessicated as if they had been french kissed by a race of vegetarian space vampires. I’m not really sure what I’m doing wrong: too much sun, not enough water, all vice versa? Who knows.

So I need this perambulating robot spider to follow the sun around the room. It is, perhaps, my only hope to ever have a lusciously verdant apartment, short of breaking out the plastic flora and stapling them to the walls. The only problem: on hungover mornings like today’s, while sweating and jacttitating on the couch, a scene presenting itself like the animated GIF above would be far too close to my nightmare fever dreams.

Plant bot [Play Coalition via Neatorama]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Perambulating spider bot keeps plants alive

1. kpkpkp says:

Power it with electricity gathered from dissimilar metallic electrodes in the growth medium.

2. Chrs says:

Delightful!

3. RedShirt77 says:

Next up, a robot that follows the basset hound around and mops up the slobber.

4. fullerenedream says:

Reminds me of the planty guys from A Fire Upon The Deep!

5. loganbouchard says:

maybe you could train it to move out of the way for you.

6. airship says:

Triffids.

Okay, I said it first.

7. TharkLord says:

I like the idea of putting a cat bed on top for extremely lazy felines.

Yoiks! – I think I just scared myself.

This could be the beginning of… Kitty Modok!

8. Not a Doktor says:

In my abode the western sun shines in at 3pm to 5pm, and then it hits the wall and reflects off that for another two hours. I’d love to see the bot try to keep pace.

9. SC_Wolf says:

I for one, welcome our new robotic spider plant overlords.

Get yourself a pothos (aka devil’s ivy). This plant is practically unkillable. Put it in the shade, but not in a room that doesn’t have ANY windows. Water it once a week.

This is a plant that you can grow in a pot of water with a fish in it… in an actual pot with potting soil, you should be able to keep it alive no problem. No robotic plant porter necessary!

11. David Carroll says:

John: Any dog alive would kill this thing and it’s Pteridophyta passenger.

I don’t have a dog, but I can see myself tripping over this contraption ’cause I have enough trouble not bumping into furniture that is in the same place every day.

However in the annals of useless but cool DIY gadgets it ranks high…

12. iRoy says:

Depends on what speed the bot travels at. As it only hs to track a sunbeam then it can go relativly slow and the mut won’t even notice.

13. urshrew says:

I think that thing and any dog I own would be immediately at war with one another.

14. timmaah says:

I may need this…

I kept my Sago Palm alive for two years.. granted it didn’t do a thing.. but now it looks dead.

15. Alkwerte says:

I’ll take 5 of these !
    And 2 with dead-leaves-laser-cutting-system !
    Thanks !

16. michaelportent says:

Great. So not only do I have to worry about stubbing my toe on the furniture, but I also have to worry about the furniture stubbing its toe on me!