iTunes UK asterisk censors H*t T**n K****r P****y

_45140551_itunes.jpg

Over the weekend, the iTunes UK music database began to inexplicably asterisk censor thousands of song titles, from Nirvana’s “Smell’s Like T**n Spirit”, Queen’s “K****r Queen, Katy Perry’s “H*t and Cold” and Danny Kaye’s “I Thought I Saw A P***y Cat.”

Apple UK says it is a “database glitch…” which seems to be a euphemism for the overzealous data entry of a temp concerned by the dynamically generated rape playlist soundtracks Britain’s insidious constabulary of pedophiles might put together after plugging “killer hot teen pussy” into iTunes.

Via Gizmodo’s own Jesus Diaz, whose early morning post about this debacle was a single fist thrust defiantly into the rainbow-spatttered sky of Apple oppression. Over the course of several spittle punctuated paragraphs, our good friend Jesus decried the asterisking of the entire Pussycat Dolls oeuvre as one of the most egregious violations of free speech this side of Kim Jong Il, before finally summing his potent arguments up with two powerful recruitment videos from the Che Guevara of guerilla free speech advocacy, Mr. Eric Idle. Jesus then observed that this was “a level of idiotic politically correct censorship that not even the FCC will apply here in the United States”… an excellent point, considering the fact that nothing about the censorship of the word “teen” could be characterized as “politically correct.”

A brave stand, indeed, Mr. Diaz! For in the immortal words of Martin Niemöller, “First they came for Devo’s ‘Pink Pussy Cat’ and I did not speak…”

iTunes glitch censors song titles [BBC]

This entry was posted in apple and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to iTunes UK asterisk censors H*t T**n K****r P****y

1. 0xdeadbeef says:

Oh dear, Apple did something submissive to the nanny state and failed in the process. Quick, lets find someone pointing out that stupidity with sarcasm and mockery, and frame it so that *they* are the weak and crazy one!

Follow-up: iTMS Canada no longer seems to be doing this anymore. It is now safe to read “Gallows Pole” and “Ice Cream.”

3. Pete says:

With all due respect, 0XDEADBEEF, balls to you. There is no nanny state in play here, merely another corporation trying to not offend people. And as for your reading of the article, you seem to be as way off the mark as possible.

I’d like to know if I buy a track from iTunes that has been censored, will it remain censored when I download it?

4. BritSwedeGuy says:

The story is more interesting when you consider the image that was originally used by some wag at the BBC:
    I can vouch that’s genuine, my girlfriend pointed me to the original before the BBC pulled it, we’re both big fans of Kunt and the Gang ;)

5. 0xdeadbeef says:

Wait, are you saying that Apple decided to censor without any prompting from the UK government? So is music no longer my h*t h*t sex?

I was going to cut them some slack, but I guess Apple deserves even greater contempt.

6. fabreu77 says:

Apple…oh yeah…the forbbiden fruit right? Incredible!!

A few months ago I downloaded a track from the band Puscifer from their album “V is for Vagina”. The word vagina was asterisk censored but iTunes let me change the name of the track in my library after it downloaded. I thought it was pretty sill to censor the medical name for a part of the human body. You might say it put my n*** out of joint because it’s a pain in the n*** to correct those needlessly censored track names myself.

8. dustyrivers says:

Words are filthier when they are censored. I’m all for it!

iTMS Canada has been doing this with words like “pole” and “[c]ream”. Usually in their custom playlists.

And I thought it was ridiculous that they censored the word “sodomy” in the Pogues’ “Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash!” Still, I think it’s a little silly that we should have to manually change the names of censored songs. There ought to be an option to uncensor them all in one go.