Harness the power of a rainbow to learn to type

keyright.jpg

All rainbow directives at Boing Boing Gadgets come from the top. The guy who decided Infomercia — our joyless, Orwellian gadget state — should be rainbow colored? The guy who has been pushing for a BBG redesign in the style of the Reading Rainbow open credits, complete with auto-playing theme song sung and performed by him? Joel.

So it doesn’t take much guessing to decide that Joel will probably like this KeyRight Learning Keyboard, with each chromatic QWERTY meant to teach budding typist where to corral each of their gingers. Heck, Joel’s practically shilling the thing: that slouched, effeminate Asian man in the official product image? The one in the glasses and hipster hair, hugging a rainbow keyboard to his sunken chest as if it were a stuffed unicorn? I’m really not sure that isn’t Joel after a quick dye job and the surgical addition of a couple epicanthic folds. None of us have seen him for weeks!

Keyright [Official Site via CNet]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Harness the power of a rainbow to learn to type

1. Joel Johnson says:

Not rainbow enough.

Hugh, that’s what I’m talkin’ about.

3. Freddie Freelance says:

@Joel, could you post a copy of the new BBG Theme Song?

4. OM says:

…Screw the keyboad, and screw the geek.I wanna see more of the chick!

5. dofnup says:

I get laughed at by my IT-mates not only because I don’t touch type (I look at the keyboard every 1 or 2 words) but also because I don’t use all my fingers to type … I use both indexes primarily, then my right middle and ring fingers … the rest VERY rarely get any use.

I type just as fast (or faster) and accurately than they do, mind you, but still I get the snickers.

Having a rainbow colored keyboard? Probably not gonna help, even being a girl u_u

6. A New Challenger says:

Perfect for playing THE TYPING OF THE DEAD.

7. echolocate chocolate says:

Should definitely come with colour-coded gloves.

Actually come to think of it, here’s an effective typing tutor that is also much more MANLY. A keyboard with metal contacts on each key and a pair of gloves, also with metal contacts on the fingertips. The hardware powers each key (or finger) every time a key is pressed and if you used the wrong finger it ZAPS you. IN THE BALLS.

MANLYTYPE. Dibs on the patent!

8. RichardBronosky says:

I have been programming for over 20 years and never could learn to touch type. The way I finally did it was by pulling off my keys one by one and sanding the ink off of them. That worked pretty well, but I also often use laptops. I found the I would revert to looking down when that crutch was available to me. I tried correctional film (white-out), then stickers, but they got nasty after a few weeks. I couldn’t destroy my company issued laptop by taking sandpaper to the keys, but what could I do?

I pulled off the keys “F” & “J”, and swapped their places (because they have the nubs that help you find your home row. Then I pulled off the rest of the letters, numbers, and symbols placing them into a bowl. I shook the bowl. I then put them back on in random order. Now I do not look at my hands anymore. (Because if I do it only screws me up.) My mobile coding speed is now equal to my desktop coding speed. (I just hate password fields.)

9. Hugh says:

So which of you is the one on the left, and can I have his number?