iPhone 2.2 getting direct podcast downloading

screen2-200x300.png

You can now pretty much consider it confirmed: Apple’s iPhone 2.2 update will allow direct downloading of podcasts to your iPhone or iPod Touch. That explains why the Podcaster app was rejected from the App Store a few months back: it violated Apple’s policy of not duplicating functionality, though in Podcaster’s case, that functionality was future over present.

(We won’t go into how that policy doesn’t make a lick of sense: there are, for example, numerous App Store programs that duplicate note taking functionality, yet Apple hasn’t squeezed them.)

It seems that the same restrictions that are on Apps apply to podcasts: there’s a 10MB size limit. It’ll be interesting to see how that shakes out with podcasters: there’s numerous podcasts I subscribe to larger than 10MB. Will podcasters start supplying lower-fidelity casts to be iPhone compatible, start breaking up their larger episodes into 10MB chunks, or tell iPhone users to go screw and use iTunes like everyone else?

Podcasting on iPhone 2.2 [Flo's Blog]

This entry was posted in apple and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to iPhone 2.2 getting direct podcast downloading

Okay, quickly go to iTunes and create a smart playlist, podcast is true, size is less than 10MB.

How many of your podcasts survived? just those 60 second blurb casts, or podcasts shorter than 10 minutes survived for me. That is byfar the minority of my podcast listening.

So, I don’t think this is going to replace syncing to your mac or PC by a long shot.

What it might enable, is catching a short news brief you might not actually be seeking, while on the run. But this is going to be next to useless for most podcast listeners SUBCRIBED content.

I bet the advertising alone in the typical Boing Boing podcast is larger than 10 meg.

2. Agies says:

Says iPod Touch right there in the article.

Anyway I see just about everyone but the mac-centric podcasters telling you to screw off and deal. Too much work for too little gain.

3. jitrobug says:

to me, this feels equivalent to: “Apple will allow printing from macs over a network, but only pages with text that covers less than 2/3rds of the page, and no images. If you have documents with images and pages full of text, simply reformat them or plug directly into the printer”

4. exhilaration says:

That sorta makes more sense.

5. obi1kenobi1 says:

Hopefully the 10mb rule is the same as the App Store, meaning if you are connected to WiFi you can download any size. Even so, if I am out and about and I remember that I haven’t downloaded the most recent episodes of News from Lake Wobegon or Onion Radio News, it could still come in handy. But if it really is a 10mb overall limit Apple is just digging themselves into a hole.

None of my 10+ podcasts are under 10mb. What a useless limit.

7. mistercharlie says:

The 10MB limit is only over the cell network. Wi-Fi is unlimited, as it should be.

8. Chris Furniss says:

as a podcaster who has struggled for years to get his file sizes down to save on bandwidth costs, I can tell you that no podcast of any decent length is going to be below 10mb. Mine is an hour long (typically) and even if I change it to mono and compress the fuck out of it I can usually only get it down to about 25-30mb.

Will this also be available for the iPod touch?