Windows 7 coming mid 2009

So there you go: Microsoft’s promising Windows 7 by mid-2009, with pre-configured PCs hitting by the Holiday Season. That means summer will have two big OS releases on both side of the camp: Snow Leopard for Macheads and Windows 7 for PC users. Let’s hope the close juxtaposition of releases doesn’t make any one of them look the poorer (prediction: it will.)

Microsoft aims Windows 7 for 2009 holiday season [CNET]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Windows 7 coming mid 2009

1. toxonix says:

Why did they name this one “7”? There have been at least 9 major public versions of Windows, not to mention things like ‘Win95 Me’, which isn’t really a major version.
    I think Ina Fried is a strange and confused individual. Tech writers in general are kind of weird, but this one..
    I don’t see anything I like in windows 7, which is not suprising. Windows is torture.

From what I read Windows 7 isn’t going to be substantially different from Vista. The underlying architecture full of DRM and bloat is still going to be there.

If it weren’t for gaming purposes I would’ve dumped Windows long ago.. but its already been established that Vista isn’t exactly gaming friendly (in my mind at least).

I look forward to Microsoft keeling over like all the other American companies full of hubris and ending this virtual OS monopoly.

For now I’m looking into Mandriva and Ubuntu myself..

3. mdh says:

Aero shake? For real? [facepalm]

4. zuzu says:

Sticking with WinXP is like when people had to copy explorer.exe from Windows 95 so that they weren’t forced into adopting Internet Explorer in Windows 98 (which explorer.exe then pointed to as “shell integration”).

In other words, wanting to stick with an older but more reliable Windows platform when Microsoft engineers planned obsolescence into everything they make becomes a vexing tug-of-war.

Then again, virtual machines from Parallels, VMware, QEMU, Xen, et. al. significantly changes this dynamic. Windows only matters as a legacy platform for running specific apps that aren’t cross-platform.

Wow, stickies!!! Mac circa 1995. Simplify, MSFT, simplify. This OS looks a little too much like Vista to me.

6. Joel Johnson says:

Let me be the first Mac user in here to say: I’m liking a lot of what I’m seeing in Windows 7.

7. Bloodboiler says:

Wonder why they settled to only including the third stupidest feature on Macs (the dock). Including the second stupidest feature (window size control only in one corner) would have been easy and with little strong arming they could have forced hardware manufacturers to remove right mounse/touchpad buttons.

Fanboi!!!

Oh, wait.. crap.

9. zuzu says:

Yes, this bears repeating.

10. zikman says:

as a mac user, windows 7 doesn’t look all too evil

11. LeavingHalfway says:

They really just need to start from scratch though. Keep supporting XP, scrap vista, and have a brand-spankin-new OS for those of us who don’t really need backwards compatibility. And make it really really easy to get a dev kit, so that open-source apps can get out in a hurry.

12. remmelt says:

Are you kidding? They windows that you can shake now!