Mgestyk’s gesture-based interface technology turns the wax-on flick of a wrist into a rotation, the wave of the hands into a scroll and a thumbs up into a press of the Enter key. It’s all done with a 3D camera that translates hand movements into commands for any computer application, regardless of the lighting. And if the promotional video is to be believed, it does it very, very well.

I tend to be cynical about motion interfaces: the metaphor of pushing an arrow key or waving a mouse simply seems more straight forward and less elaborate than doing a pantomime routine in front of my computer all day. That said, I find the apparent integration of Mgestyk’s technology terribly neat: even if I don’t particularly have any interest in doing all my computering this way, I could easily see a future iteration of the Wii going this route and be fine with it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Mgestyk’s gesture-based interface lets you play shooters with your own finger gun

1. Angstrom says:

it looks very interesting, but the latency seems to be at least half a second between gesture and action.

2. Joel Johnson says:

Yeah, the latency looks to be a problem. That should be fixable, though, right? As long as it works they can just throw more horsepower at it.

3. Pope Ratzo says:

That’s a huge relief.

I was worried that someone might make great use of this innovative technology and John Brownlee might not be “fine with it”, which would, of course, require all of us to turn our backs on any products that were to make use of it.

The entire technology sector breathes a sigh of relief at this news.

4. Dillenger69 says:

Once they get the latency problem dealt with this could make for all sorts of cool game interfaces. It could make spellcasting in games a completely different ballgame.

Combine it with a force feedback exo-skeleton and some haptics for touch and you’ll have yourself a pretty sweet immersion rig.

Gamers could end up going from the fat lump in the basement to the most fit people out there.

5. Angstrom says:

There is also a massive market for this in Electronic Music performance.

Us laptop powered musicians have to rely on hunching over controllers and keyboards when we perform, both of which are not very demonstrative interfaces. Laptop musicians often get accused of ‘checking their mail’ on stage.

I look forward to the day when I can paint the fence / sand the floor and control some performance element.

BTW: yes, I know about wiimote and glovepie

6. bobsyeruncle says:

*pew* *pew* *pew* :D

what do you know , Moby is still at it w/ this stuff it sounds so 90s early 2000, but I just search you tube and it’s for the new bond movie.