“All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”

appleiic.jpg

Nate Miller writes:

I’m reliving a current fascination with the Apple ][ family, and am considering picking up a //c for the reasons I can’t quite justify.

I stumbled upon this page, which is an original review of a //c, circa 1984. It’s just so easy to read it as the output of a current blogger.

Some of the fascinating quotes:

“The ivory color, rounded edges, and high-performance look of the IIc have been dubbed the “Snow White” look and will be featured in all new Apple products. It is the look of the 80′s, the Pepsi Generation, and you had better get used to it. You will be seeing a lot of it in years to come.”

“It also reinforces Apple’s contention that the IIc isn’t machine for people who want to hack around with the hardware.”

It’s even got the fanboy Art of War maxim: turn your weakness into the greatest strength:

“The lack of slots is really a blessing in disguise. It makes the IIc a “closed system.” This is the kind of environment for which software developers like to program, since they don’t have to worry about all the different cards and hardware kits that you may or may not have in your computer. With a closed system, if the program runs correctly on one IIc, it runs correctly on every IIc. I anticipate that software firms will flock to the IIc. This machine is a programmer’s dream•a powerful closed system with a wide range of special features.”

Couple this with the fact that the //c was introduced at an “Apple Forever” event at Moscone Center…and it was somehow carried off, even without a single liveblogger.

This entry was posted in apple. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to “All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”

1. airship says:

#4 you are correct. These Apple guys are stupid and deluded. They are also ugly and their moms dress them funny.

2. dafoink says:

Commodore kicked its butt. better graphics, better sound, more software

3. mcsey says:

http://retromaccast.ning.com/ is a good resource for all things old and Apple.

4. username says:

I’m still saving up for a Laser 128. Almost there….

5. nprnncbl says:

The Apple ][+ command that opened my eyes: CALL -151

6. Dr_Erick says:

Yet they are upgradeable, I’ve got a IIc that we upgraded to 512kb of ram back in ’88 or so and it still works like a charm – I used it most recently with (I believe) the activision video game construction kit as a very low-fi sequencer.

The downside with that much RAM is you can easily create documents that you can’t save to the 128kb disk dive.

7. KurtMac says:

Unless my dad threw it away (sacrilege!) I should seek out and dust off the olde IIc+ we had as our first family computer. I remember playing Rampage and Carmen Sandiego on it, and printing off my 3rd grade papers on the dot-matrix printer that would violently shake the desk as the print cartridge zipped back and forth.

8. schmod says:

nice reference :-P

My experience with the Apple II was in the elementary school computer lab, where I died of dysentery:

10. styrofoam says:

This is where I self-correct my typography, in an effort to beat people to the punch.

][
    ][+
    //e
    IIc
    ///
    IIGS

The branding department was obviously not terribly consistent back in the day.
    I'm sure there's at least one IIc devotee that is going to be shocked that I ever referred to it in a manner that might confuse it with a //e. My deepest apologies.

11. Apreche says:

The GS is really the way to go. It really is one of the greatest machines ever designed. You open the box, and what you see inside is truly a thing of beauty.

I wish I could use it more, but I have trouble finding 5.25″ floppies. I have plenty of 5.25″ drives for the GS, but I need one for the PC, and I need some blanks so that I can download software from the net, put it in the floppy, and then run it on the GS.

Also, there’s little reason to actually use the GS, when there are effectively perfect emulators.

12. guy_jin says:

@1: it makes more sense when you know what order the machines came in. it was:
    ][
    ][+
    ///
    //e
    //c
    IIGS

Also, I've been plotting getting an apple II, but if I was doing it, I'd get a IIGS instead.

13. Samizdata says:

One summer, my teacher stepfather brought one home for me to learn Pascal programming.

Only one problem.

Using UCSD Pascal at the time involved booting one disc, which loaded into the language card, then soft rebooting the ][c with a second disc. Not too difficult right?

On a ][ with a normal language card, rebooting would not empty or reset the contents of the language card. Only powering off would. The ][c, however, had an emulated language card which would completely disappear once the machine was rebooted.

So, I spent the entire summer mastering Wizardry I...

14. styrofoam says:

I forgot that the /// came before the //e.

The IIc is //e enough like that I could probably be fairly happy running with it. I still have a few boxes of floppies that are almost guaranteed to be media-failures, but there’s an unshakeable germ of hope that they’ve somehow managed to suprise.

Booting a GS would require a bit of an assembly- keyboard, mouse, dedicated workspace, etc.

I keep kidding myself that all the IIc needs is the Power Brick and an RF modulator, and I’m in business. As long as I’m going to clutter the house with crap, I could minimize it a little bit.

That aside, I love the fact that the review goes as far as to gush about the LSI architecture, and the CMOS design of the processor- it’s such a nice snapshot in time. I can almost envision that somebody, somewhere, has a shoebox full of photos that depict their unboxing, as well as a complete teardown of the system.